We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maven Car Sharing?

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Maven Car Sharing?

Hello. I'm from Florida and we all use personal cars here even to travel. So, I'm fairly new to public transit and getting around without owning a car. We are coming to Boston next week and we need to rent a car or do a car sharing to go visit Lexington/Concord. Can anyone advise on car sharing? I can't even start an account without my license and I'm a little nervous putting that information into an app that I know nothing about. Thanks so much!

Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,106 Reviews
from US$44.05*
Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
683 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
601 Reviews
from US$55.65*
6 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,627 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Maven Car Sharing?

Car sharing in the way I think you mean (as opposed to zipcar) is fairly new to the area. I have seen it advertised in subway stations.

Massachusetts has strict rules about auto insurance and I wonder it there will be significant savings over a regular rental.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,752 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Maven Car Sharing?

I would either do a traditional car rental or rely on Lyft/Uber rather than ride sharing.

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Maven Car Sharing?

Okay thank you for your advice. I think we will just do a traditional rental car.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Maven Car Sharing?

You might - repeat *might* - have enough time to sign up for zipcar.com, and reserve the time frame you need. There is a membership fee, though, and in the end it might cost you more than a traditional rental. It may even cost more than an Uber or Lyft roundtrip. But it is 100% legit, and you would drive yourself, so that may be another option to look into.

Dallas, United...
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Maven Car Sharing?

I Used Maven tonight for the first time... went smooth. HOWEVER... caution... if you rent a vehicle in Boston, there's a mandatory $10 convention center surcharge PER CONTRACT. It is NOT listed on the app along with the other fees... (they conveniently left this one out) when you reserve the vehicle... just a nice surprise on the final bill. So, when I should've paid just over $10 for an hour rental, it turned out over $20. Uber or Lyft would've been cheaper in my case. Not happy with Maven since they didn't list that fee in the estimate. I'm guessing it would be fine in other cities.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Maven Car Sharing?

I’ve heard good thing about Turo, which is kind of an Airbnb of rental cars.

Reply to: Maven Car Sharing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted