We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip and concerns

England
Level Contributor
187 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Trip and concerns

I have booked my flights for a trip from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry then down the Skyline Drive then over to the coast. I am now sorting accommodation and plan to stay a little while in the Harpers Ferry area. I just wanted to ask about mosquitoes. My very enjoyable planning has been somewhat ruined by discovering the mass of mosquitoes in the Virginia area and wondered if it is as much a problem in the Harpers Ferry area. I am a bit of a magnet for them so wondered if there is any rest bite (no pun intended!) anywhere? It is making me less sure of booking in some of the lovely rural B and Bs but I know that would be a much nicer experience than chain hotels by the freeway.

I have travelled in California, Washington state and New England if there is any comparison on the bug front. I'd appreciate help as I had been so excited about coming!

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
New England
New England
United States
Bed and breakfasts in Harpers Ferry
The Jackson Rose B & B
The Jackson Rose B & B
#1 of 10 B&Bs / Inns in Harpers Ferry
The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 10 B&Bs / Inns in Harpers Ferry
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast
#3 of 10 B&Bs / Inns in Harpers Ferry
6 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,084 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip and concerns

mosquitoes.

===

Do read about insect repellents.

Look at Find the Repellent that is Right for You | Repellents: Protection against ...

https:/…find-repellent-right-you

Enjoy

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip and concerns

I don't recall Harper's Ferry having a bad mosquito problem, but if you are concerned, be sure to have some mosquito repellent that contains DEET or picaridin.

England
Level Contributor
187 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip and concerns

Thank you for the help.

Peoria, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip and concerns

Was it bad? We are looking for a place to spend a few days between Baltimore, MD and Cincinnati - something with a cabin area - fire pit - small rustic - would love mountains - but, I do not know these towns I am looking up along the way. Any input?

Mentioned in this post
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,084 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip and concerns

but, I do not know these towns

====

We enjoyed a June 2018 visit to this area - WV, VA, PA, and MD including an outdoor wedding.

No mosquitoes during this time period.

We had no mosquitos

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
23 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip and concerns

I have stayed in Harper's Ferry and Shepherstown many times. If staying in Harper's Ferry I would recommend a B&B in the historic city. The motels are along the highway. Being a national park the town can get very busy. Shepherstown, about 10 miles away, is a great place to stay to explore the local area and history. I can recommend the Bavarian Inn. http://www.bavarianinnwv.com/ And ask for a room overlooking the Potomac River.

Mentioned in this post
Bavarian Inn
Bavarian Inn
900 Reviews
Shepherdstown, WV
Reply to: Trip and concerns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harpers Ferry