We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Saipan

Saipan, Mariana...
11 posts
Save Topic
Living in Saipan

Hi...help. I'm moving to Saipan in November, 2011. Any hints about what to take vs. what to buy there would be helpful. Am planning on being there several years. First question would be about driving there. Is US (Florida) drivers license good there?

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Saipan

Saipan has two climate rainy months and summer months, since your moving around Nov it's possibly raining, drivers license, yours is good for a month, you have to change it to CNMI drivers license, like me I have CA and Saipan drivers license. Once summer the best time to go managaha small island west of Saipan or better yet grotto, if your a scuba driver you'll love it, there's abundance of local fruit and more.

d b
Saipan, Mariana...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Saipan

Hi Tim, I also responded to your PM. As you noted, the other loooong thread should answer most of your questions. Ask if there is anything else you wonder about. tripadvisor.co.uk/…36269795

As for your drivers license, CNMI is part of the good ol' USA. And like any other part of the US, your drivers license is good here. Every part of the US Constitution applies here except the covenant between CNMI and the US limits real estate ownership to only native Chamorros and Carolinians.

You can get a CNMI drivers license at the DMV in Susupe. Go to the Courthouse cashier first to pay for your license then go behind the Courthouse to the DMV building. Things go more slowly here so expect an hour for the DMV to give your new license. It will look like a high school ID. As taught to us by the Hitchhiker's Guide, don't panic! :-)

Saipan, Mariana...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Saipan

Just keep in mind that everything here is much more expensive, than the U.S., especially hard-to-ship items like furniture and flat screen TVs. If you're working for the government and get a shipping stipend, I'd load a container with everything you need, but don't care about leaving behind when you go. If you have unused space, just load it with good wine and alcohol, which is also pretty expensive here. The good news is that selling things when you leave is pretty easy.

Your drivers license is good here for a month i believe, but, technically, you're supposed to get a local license if you're becoming a resident.

For more info on Saipan, check out http://www.saipanexplorer.com

Good luck.

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Saipan

Electronic items here are also priced sky-high. A lot of people here buy their stuff online like ebay and other online merchants so if you can, bring what you need e.g. computers, chargers, etc.

Saipan, Mariana...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Saipan

Thanks all for the good advice. I'm here now! I love it.

Saipan, Mariana...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Saipan

Yes. A U.S. driver license is acceptable and valid for use in Saipan, but it is recommended that you trade it in for a Saipan driver's license if you plan on staying there for more than a year.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Saipan

Be aware that if you go to get a local drivers license that they will take away your US license.

Saipan, Mariana...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in Saipan

They poked a hole in it and gave it back to me. Oh well...

St. Petersburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in Saipan

I am from Florida, but lived in Saipan for several years. Actually did most of my growing up out there! I am sure you are in the midst of learning a lot about the place right now (I am kind of jealous), but I just figured I would offer a couple sources of good, comprehensive information about the island and locations of various places on island. Check out http://www.exploresaipan.com. You can find anything from restaurants, to all the must-see sites, diving info, golfing, and much more. It also provides a map link for most businesses and sites, making it easier to find your way around. Great resource! Also, it sounds like you are interested in diving, so unless you have already been told, Axe Murderer Tours is the BEST place to go for great dive instruction/tours: http://www.axemurderertours.com. Have a blast out there!

Saipan, Mariana...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in Saipan

Hey, thanks GlobalJB. Can't blame you for being jealous...what a nice place to be this is. I absolutely love it here!

Get answers to your questions about Saipan