We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran in October

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
181 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran in October

My plan for my husband and I was to fly out from NE PA to San Francisco at the end of September, staying at the Radisson at Fisherman's Wharf. I had to change travel dates to mid-October which means the price went up a few $$$. I love all the touristy things, my husband loves fishing. It seems I can get a hotel cheaper in Union Square. I'm looking for sugesstions. I liked the Radisson at the Wharf for the view of the Bay, the Bridge, its location to Alcatraz and Pier 39. I don't have a problem taking a cab back and forth to anywhere. Any Union Square suggestions. Or, perhaps I should just suck it up and pay the extra since the Radisson looks really, really nice.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
44,530 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran in October

October has some major conventions fleet week and a Marathon so it is full. I am not sure many regulars would recommend the Radisson The best hotel there is the Argonaut. You should look at Union Square hotels using the SF hotels link and price range and also read reviews. SF has a great Transit system so the MUNI can take you around with a 1 3 or 7 day passport

Edited: 28 February 2012, 18:52
Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran in October

I hear you with the accommodation costs. We will be in SF in Octover for 7 nights and we actually changed our dates to later in the month due to no availability and massive rate increases.

Good luck

C

sf
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran in October

2 word about early October the last couple of years. "Oracle World", Sept 30-Oct 4, 2012. It's a very big convention, that soaks up the available hotel space, so you're going to pay a premium if you can find some place to stay.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 22:08
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran in October

Public transportation in SF is very good. Also, because geographically it is a small city, you can also walk many places - there are hills, but as long as you are in decent shape, you should be fine. So between public transport and walking and the occasional cab, you can get everywhere you will want to go.

The Fisherman's Wharf area is fine, but not at all my favorite part of SF. It is good for catching a boat to Alcatraz or out on the bay and touring the historic vessels docked in the area, but we don't spend time there when we visit SF except to do those things. So IMO, you aren't giving up anything by staying in Union Square over FW. And Union Square is basically at the hub of most public transportation in SF, so you can easily get around the city from there.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran in October

I don't believe the Radisson has a view of the bridge (I don't think it is geographically possible unless it's like mine ... you have to squash yourself against the window and crane your neck at an unnatural angle). And it's not on the bay ... there is a street and large parking lot between it and the bay. And even then it's positioned so only a couple of rooms per floor might have a water "view." Oh, and don't forget the large bus parking lot on the other side which probably has a lot of activity just before 6AM as buses start on their routes.

Frankly, I think the Radisson is one of the least desireable properties on the Wharf. It was built in the 50's as a TraveLodge. If it's priced highly, there are much better properties, even at the Wharf.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 22:44
Davis, California
Level Contributor
348 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran in October

If the price is really $$$ I'd skip it! You might want to check out other hotels along the Embarcadero, there are lovely views of the bridge and the bay from that area.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
18,695 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fran in October

I've stayed at the Radisson and "really, really nice" isn't how I would describe it. It does have nice views from the upper level parking lot, though, but doubt I'll stay there again.

The hallways reeked of stale cigarettes and the upper level floors felt like they had a lot of "bend" in them. I thought the place wouldn't fare too well if an earthquake hit. The ONLY advantage is the location in proximity to Pier 39, Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf. And possibly the IHOP next door, which I thought pretty good for a chain diner. Or maybe I was just hungry and it was late into the evening and everything else was closed.

Oh.... I did NOT have a view of the bay. But I did of some of the skyline and the Bay Bridge to the east.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 23:05
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,315 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Fran in October

Union Square is usually the area recommended here for lodging.

It is at the hub of all of the different kinds of public transportation in the city. From there you can walk to Chinatown and North Beach, and there are many, many good restaurants within walking distance.

If you are into shopping, that is there as well.

However, I would be surprised if you can get a good hotel in Union Square for less than the Radisson in Fisherman's Wharf. If you tell us the names of some of the hotels in Union Square you have looked at, you can get some advice here.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
181 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Fran in October

I knew I could count on Trip Advisor! Thank you for all the advice. I will now look up some hotels and ask your opinions. Thank you again!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Fran in October

Fisherman's Wharf is fun to visit (for a few hours) but I wouldn't want to stay there. (Unless I could get the Argonaut, then maybe it would be ok)

I would much rather stay in Union Square or the Embarcadero.

US is more central with better restaurants and transportation options.

Some Embarcadero hotels have great views of the bay near the Bay Bridge.