We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

A while back, I posted the following question:

tripadvisor.com/…37367411

I got lots of advice, and I want to thank everyone who took the time to help.

My daughter and her friends ended up staying in the Mediterranean Suite at the Monaco, and they absolutely loved both the room and the hotel. They thought it was beautiful, and the staff was really helpful Sharing a bathroom wasn't an issue, and there was lots of room in the suite.

The concierge recommended that they try a bar (styled as a Speakeasy) called Bourbon and Branch. It was a short walk away from the hotel, and they loved this place also.

I'm still hearing the details, so if I have any tips to pass along, I will. But for now, I want to recommend the Monaco and the great rate I got on the suite thru using my AAA card.

Again, thanks to all who helped.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,128 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

I am glad it all worked out well. I remember that discussion being very spirited. Thanks for closing the loop on the trip. Nice of you to give your daughter a good trip.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

It did get "spirited"! Good choice of words. But I appreciated the diverse opinions and just wanted to pass along the good result so that others can take advantage of the rate and room if it suits.

Great forum here--I really enjoy it! Thanks again to all the "regulars."

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Yes, "spirited" ... good word belo, you should be a diplomat.

Glad it worked out mcal and thanks for letting us know.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,128 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Me Diplomatic? Humm. i was accused of being sarcastic yesterday when I politely told that OP who claimed to have done a lot of research on SF and posted the top 5 touristy things in SF to do a bit more research. Sal you did respond to her with a lot more finesse than I did but i don't think she will take your suggestion. Oh well i digress Sorry mcal. :-)

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Sounds like a great place to stay! We loved our lunch at Grand Cafe @ The Monaco. That staircase in the lobby is just beautiful. We took some nice family photos there. :).

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Thanks SO much for the report. I was part of the 'interesting' discussion, recommending the Monaco on the basis of my daughter's and her friends' experience there. I wondered how it all worked out.

Let us know if they have any 'jewels' to recommend. I have heard of Bourbon and Branch but not been there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,128 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Bourbon and Branch and Comstock are two of our fav old fashioned "classic' saloons in the city.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Thanks for posting back with the info about the Monaco. Good to hean!!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Heartless, wicked creature! By now you should be wallowing in the first installment of what's going to be a lifetime of regret for subjecting your daughter and her friends to the privations of a single bathroom shared between 4 women, and for a whole weekend at that! Please, please tell me that as part of the birthday gift you gave her thrice-weekly counseling sessions (private, of course, as a group may trigger dangerous flashbacks) with a skilled therapist to help her get past this trauma.....

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Big Thanks and Some Feedback on The Monaco

Caffiend, you are too funny! Obviously you remember that the"spirited" discussion centered on the fact that there would only be one bathroom for 4 young women if they stayed in the suite instead of 2 separate rooms.

Anyway, they had no problems and in fact loved it. They headed the "wrong way" on foot one evening when walking to Bourbon and Branch--into the Tenderloin, I guess--but realized they were in a seedy area before they had gone too far and just made a u-turn to get out of there. So I guess the only heads-up I could give would be to watch which direction you head. The people at the Monaco were quick to set them in the right direction and also to help them with bus routes when they went out the next day.

I hope I have the chance to stay there soon myself!

Thanks again--I recognize the names of all of you who helped--belomiser, RamblinSal, Puter, Caffiend--thanks so much. You're awesome!