We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

Has anyone done the drive from San Fran to Big Basin Redwoods Park via Hwy 1 South? Looking to take the coastal highway and think this would be a great destination to hit as stopping point for a few hours of exploration before heading back to the city.

I've read great things about the park...and it looks to be a lot of back-tracking to get into the park itself from the west (Hwy 1). Any idea on how long this trip would take one way?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

You would be adding something like 40-45 minutes to the drive. Really not alot when you think that you are trading a largely freeway drive to BB for an ocean view to BB..

The Highway 1 drive is about 2 1/4 hours. If you go the other route, it's about 1 hour 40 mintes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

The drive from 1 to the park or even from 17 to the park is very windy and slow so please make sure your passengers are ready for such a windy road and there is no road sickness. The destination is worth the visit but getting there is fun for the driver and not so much for people sitting next to you .

There is a great brewery in Boulder creek with the same name. Worth a lunch and a light ale.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

This is a great drive and would make a great day trip. I would make a loop out of the drive. Hwy 1 south to Hwy 9 to Big Basin. Then when you leave Big Basin, continue on Hwy 9 the same direction and then head north on Hwy 35. No backtracking at all this way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

Driving from San Fran to LA-will we see enough of the Redwoods along the way. Don't think we can make a special trip otherwise-no time.

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

What route will you take SF to LA? - unless you detour off the regular route you won't see any redwoods.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

Whatever is best and how much would it add to our travel time? I guess we would miss the coastal views then? Heading to Monteray along the way too.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

pickymom -- Henry Cowell State Park isn't far out of the way -- it's outside of Santa Cruz and not far from Hiway 17 if you plan to diverge from Hiway 1 there. Big Basin is much more of a detour on the way to San Francisco.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

Regardless which of the major highways you take the routing to Big Basin is a bit convoluted so my vote for using Highway 1, which would be a lot more interesting than say 280/17/9 (which you could use for your return). You can see a discussion of some of the pleasures of this stretch of Highway 1, in the current forum discussion tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k507091… .

pickymoms07, it really is bad manners to invade somebody else's message thread with what's at best a vaguely related question (redwoods and redwoods, that's it). It's even worse to continue to expand your questions, co-opting the discussion.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 19:48
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

pickymom - unless you have at least some route planned out how can we comment on whether you will see redwoods?

I assumed when you posted your first question you at least had some idea of your route:

"Driving from San Fran to LA-will we see enough of the Redwoods along the way. Don't think we can make a special trip otherwise-no time."

Now after my request for clarification you don't even have a route so how can we know if you will see redwoods?

"Whatever is best and how much would it add to our travel time? I guess we would miss the coastal views then? Heading to Monteray along the way too."

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive to Big Basin Redwoods Park?

pickymom - It is probably best to start your own thread so that the advice about your trip and Bryan's trip don't get mixed up. Give us a bit more information about your trip. Let us know what your stops are and how much time you have. And what is "enough" of the redwoods? Are you happy with a drive through and a quick stop to see a few trees or are you interested in a hike, picnic in a redwood grove, etc?

Then we can give you good advice about seeing the redwoods.