We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

I'm planning a trip to Angel Island with a bunch of friends in their 30s and 40s of various fitness levels. I'm trying to decide whether to do the hike to the top of Mount Livermore or to go to the immigration station, or is there time for both? I haven't been in years.

We arrive on the island at 10:05 am and the ferry leaves at 4:10 pm.

I added up the time for how long things are supposed to take. Theoretically, we could do the walk to the immigration station, stay an hour, hike to the top of Mount Livermore stay an hour for lunch, and hike back down and we *should* be able to make the ferry with about 30 minutes to spare.

BUT, is it too much? I remember doing the hike to the top and also going around the perimeter trail all in a day once. I was frazzled and was cutting it a bit close for the ferry.

So, what do you think is the best plan for a day trip?

BTW, it seems the Segway rental, cafe, and most services are closed during the winter months, so these options are off the table right now.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

You know the fitness levels of your party better than us - you could always start with the easier of the two and offer those who would rather not, the option of meeting back up at the pier.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

We did both Mt. Livermore and the immigration station in one day. Up Mt. Livermore is a bit streneous. Around the perimeter is 5 miles, without Mt. Livermore.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

Since you haven't been to Angel Island recently, be aware that a couple of years ago the Immigration Station was restored and now has interpretive signage and exhibits. This may mean that your time estimates may be off.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

Depends on what you are planning to do after returning back. If it is a nice dinner with lots of beer, then the Mt would be well worth it. We have done both but not on the same day. We took our boys around the island without using any segways (though they kept eyeing them) and some other guests and had a great lunch and relaxed before we took the ferry back to Tiburon and had a great dinner at Sam's. We did the Mt just with our boys on another occasion and i was the one huffing.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 00:42
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

It's a varied group, which makes it hard to plan. There are some people who do "century" bike rides on a regular basis, while others aren't really so athletic.

Maybe I'll plan going to the peak first for lunch since it's likely to be the activity that takes longest, then if people have time or energy, some/all of us can go to the immigration station.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

Is there a reason why the group must stay together? Why not let those who wish to hike up Mt. Livermore do so and those who wish to suss out the Immigration Station do that?

SF
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

It's a small island -- only about 5 mi around it and 700 ft in elevation. 6 hours should be plenty for average people. You may even have time to squeeze in an hour at Quarry beach before you go up. You should all go up to the top. It's not that difficult and the view is spectacular. If not foggy, that is. Try to time it so that you'll be at the top around 2PM. You'll have better chance at the view then. Tho, it may be foggy all day long this time of the year...

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

If it's doable, it's certainly doable in a day. I would do it, and have. But what I mean in the first sentence is, it's kind of a binary thing. Some will do it. Some will say, "Me? Walk up there?"

To anyone: Do the segway tours go to the top? I could somewhat imagine doing that, but have a hard time imagining riding back down.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 18:13
9. Re: Angel Island: Immigration Station, Mt. Livermore or Both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 10:31