We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas eve/day in San Fran

Solihull
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas eve/day in San Fran

I am travelling to San Fran 23rd Dec with work and am taking my partner. We would like to eat out 25th as this is our traditional xmas day back in the UK could anyone recommend anywhere & also what goes on around this time in San Fran?

Laura

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas eve/day in San Fran

Many restaurants close on Christmas Day. Check Open Table for the options available this year (www.opentable.com). Chowhound might have good suggestions as well (www.chowhound.com).

Stores will be open on Christmas Eve, of course, but most shops will close Christmas Day.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas eve/day in San Fran

Garsh, I always thought UK employers were a bit more traditional and soft-hearted than to make somebody travel on December 23rd. Well, I guess we have to remember where Ebenezer Scrooge did his thing.....

RamblinSal has already given links to the two go-to places (Open Table and Chowhound) for this kind of information. Something you might need to keep in mind is I believe the traditional time for the big Christmas meal in the UK is mid-day, whereas in the US its in the evening, possibly an hour or so earlier than "normal". As an aside, the US also doesn't have Boxing Day, instead having The Feast of Returns and Discounting of Unsold Merchandise celebrated by many stores (well, I guess both involve some kind of boxes....).

OpenTable Christmas Day restaurant list (note -- list should expand after Thanksgiving and as Christmas draws closer):

www.opentable.com/promo.aspx…

OpenTable Christmas Eve Restaurant list:

www.opentable.com/promo.aspx…

Edited: 23 November 2011, 19:49
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas eve/day in San Fran

Most hotel restaurants will be open and serving, even if you're not staying at the hotel. (The one time we spent Christmas in London, it seemed many hotels there are only open to their residents for the holiday dinner.) On the bad side, prices are generally inflated and the staff that's working are those with the lowest seniority!

An American tradition for those wishing to avoid a traditional family Christmas dinner is to eat out at a Chinese restaurant. You could develop a whole new tradition for yourselves!

Sydney
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas eve/day in San Fran

Good idea SFSusanW, My husband and I are going to be in San Francisco from 23rd to 27th Dec from Australia, we might just have chinese, here in Oz we dont actually have the traditional roast for xmas day its just too hot, salads, cold cuts and seafood are the go, so yes you have sold me chinese seafood will do fine. Do you think we will need to book somewhere? Another question are the post Christmas sales good value?

Thanks in advance

Janelle

5. Re: Xmas eve/day in San Fran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2012, 10:18