We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Dim Sum Help

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Need Dim Sum Help

I am vising SF in August and would like to try some Dim Sum (not available where I live). Have done much searching on-line, but It seems that many of the recommended Dim Sum places are only open for lunch and/or are carry-out establishments. I have very limited time and we are only going to be available to go out for dinner on a Sunday and Monday evening. We are staying in the Union Square area. What would be a good option for Dim Sum on a Sunday or Monday evening?

TIA

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

Very few places serve dim sum for dinner. Ton Kiang on Geary Boulevard between 22 and 23rd Avenues serves dim sum for dinner. 415-752-4440.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,698 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

Dim sum in SF is a daytime item (breakfast, brunch, lunch). Ton Kiang is one of the few I know that serves full-on dim sum for dinner. However, Ton Kiang is somewhat out of the way for folks staying around Union Square (about 4-5 miles west). Canton House might do dinner-time dim sum, and it's a quick cab ride from Union Square (on Folsom St. near Hawthorne Lane). (Unfortunately, their web site shows their dim sum menu separately from either lunch or dinner, and doesn't mention their hours, so you'll have to contact them directly to clarify.)

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

Thanks for the feedback. It is too bad our restricted itinerary is getting in the way. The replies so far confirm what I had already discovered. I saw that Ton Kiang was a possibility but not conveniently located for us. I did contact Canton and got this prompt reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We open daily From 10:30am -9:30pm. Dim Sum . we have over 80 different items of dim sum ,plus regular Cantonese menu serve all day. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call me at work or e-mail me. I look forward to serving you."

Reviews of Canton were a little mixed, but it seems to be the best option so far. The other option would be to find a very good Chinese (not dim sum) place, maybe in Chinatown.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,470 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

If this is your first dimsum then please experience it the right way by table dining and watching the waiters with the carts walking around and choosing your items. ( never having been for dimsum at dinner I hope they do that) so perhaps the cab ride to ton kiang may be worth it -- in the evening.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

I would opt for finding another form of Chinese fare besides dim sum. The problem is that the normal and customary time to eat dim sum is from roughly 11 AM to 2:30 PM. Outside those hours, you may find a place (in addition to the places mentioned in this message thread so far, there's Dim Sum King which is all the way out in Daly City off of Highway 35 at Westmoor), but you're at best getting only the food without any of the associated experience such as being able to choose what looks interesting off of passing carts or trays rather than a piece of paper, chatting with staff about some of the offerings (big maybe depending on the place), selecting a specific tea, and seeing dozens of groups and hundreds of people enjoying their food and conversation.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

The best Chinese restaurant in (or near) Chinatown is R&G Lounge. You may have to make a reservation for dinner.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
178 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

Don't go to Canton House, it's horrible. If you must go, go to Ton Kiang, though it's probably a better idea to try some other kind of Chinese food for dinner (Great Eastern, R&G, Fang are all good).

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

Here is a thread that might interest you, from someone else who is curious about dim sum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k463494…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

I've got to say that I work with a lot of Taiwanese women who often hit Canton House for lunch when they don't make the trek all the way to Chinatown. The food is actually good, it's the atmosphere that is rather low on the impressive scale. It's very bright with sparse decor. It's all about the food there and they aren't trying to impress you in any other way.

It may actually be a bit too authentic for my taste. I actually prefer Yank Sing as it's a bit more high end - though with prices to match.

10. Re: Need Dim Sum Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 12:17