We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Structure overlooking San Fran

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Structure overlooking San Fran

We've just returned from a trip to San Fran and I was intrigued by an enormous crane like structure on the hills over looking San Fran. It was very visible when we were walking around Castro, then from Castro to Haight, it seemed very close.

I think it was near to the red ribbon on the hill, but I know distances can be deceiving.

Anyone know what it is? I did manage to get a photo of it through the fog if people need a visual clue as to what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Structure overlooking San Fran

Well, posting a link to the photo would have really helped. In the absence of the same, I'm purely guessing you're asking about Sutro Tower, which sits on a hill (WGS 82 37.7552°N 122.4524°W) between Mount Sutro and Twin Peaks, close to the site of former mayor of San Francisco, Adolph Sutro's mansion. Constructed in the early 70s it provides television and radio broadcast services to San Francisco, who's hilly terrain caused problems when transmitters were scattered on various hilltops in and surrounding the City. You can see photos all over the web including …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Sutro_… .

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Structure overlooking San Fran

That's it.

Apologies for no photo, I didn't have it with me in work.

Thanks for your reply!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Structure overlooking San Fran

A San Francisco secret is that its the love child of the eastern span of the Bay Bridge and the Transamerica Pyramid.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/SFOakB…

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/SF_Tra…

Now stop calling it "San Fran".

Edited: 24 June 2011, 15:05
San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Structure overlooking San Fran

I use Sutro tower to teach my grandkids how to navigate whenever we go places on walks or on the bus. Since it is near the geographic center you can see it from most of the City. I live directly south of it and see it from my bedroom, so I get some pretty views of it appearing and disappearing in and out of fog and sunlight.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Structure overlooking San Fran

I often refer to it as "the Devil's Trident of telecommunications" (I wish I had originated, but a friend did).

hlo

6. Re: Structure overlooking San Fran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 03:18