We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convertible rental

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Convertible rental

I have tried to rent a convertible on expedia and price line and there does not seem to be any to rent for August 16-19th for our trip to Napa. Does anyone know of any rental agencies we could contact ? I am looking to spend about $50 a day including fees/taxes.

Thanks !

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,945 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convertible rental

www.Kayak.com shows some availability at different agencies. But the total cost is over $500. Avis, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty, Dollar. I used SFO for the pick up & drop off, assuming that there are more cars at the airport than at the downtown locations.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convertible rental

I'm not particularly familiar with rental prices, but $50/day for a convertible seems unrealistically low.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convertible rental

I agree - i don't think there is any way you'll get a convertible for that price :-(

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convertible rental

Agreed. I routinely rent convertibles when I travel to California. It's around $100/day for a Ford Mustang, Toyota Solara, or Chrysler Sebring.

great britain
Level Contributor
447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convertible rental

Can i jump in this thread...are you aware if any of the said convertables can fit 4 medium cases in the boot with the roof down? My hubby is hpeing to upgrade our car hire , but i think thts wishful thinking.

Thanks

familytrippers

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convertible rental

I was hoping to get lucky since Priceline usually has regular cars for about $40 a day and sometimes you can name your own price and get them as low as $25 then I figured a convertable would be double...

I guess I would be willing to pay up to $100 a day with all the taxes and fees included for the experience since we will be driving through wine country . I'll continue to look around since we don't leave until August .

Thanks !

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convertible rental

Familytrippers I don't think there are any convertibles that will hold more than about 2 medium suitcases - but that may depend upon what you call "medium"?

Maybe scooterboss will jump back in here with more details for you.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convertible rental

familytripper, as your question really differs significantly from the OP's, as a courtesy to them you should really have started your own message thread as it draws discussion away from the original question. Since discussion has already started, I'll throw in that I don't think I've seen a standard rental-type convertible in recent years that would hold even 4 20" carry-on type rolling suitcases, let along "medium" size cases which I'm guessing are larger. Additionally from previous postings I believe there's four of you traveling for an extended trip through California and possibly beyond. If this is the case, have you and/or "hubby" ever ridden in the back of a convertible? Although fun and pleasant for a short jaunt to the beach or for a picnic, it's an ordeal for the backseat passengers for anything more. Unlike the front seats, which are given a fair amount of wind protection by the windshield and full-height side windows (and even more so if you have a pop-up behind the front seat windblocker which is more of a feature of a more upmarket convertible than you typically find rented) the back seat riders get a pretty good wind whipping.

Back to the OP's question, I think you need to remember that with the downsizing of the US automakers, the inventories of convertibles is somewhat lower. Combine this with this being summer with convertibles being the California fantasy of many visitors, car rental companies can and do keep rental rates for convertibles high, if not even inflated. Consequently like others, I think the $50/day rate is unrealistic. Keep shopping, though maybe you'll get lucky.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convertible rental

What he said.

I didn't realize there were 4 people in your party; I wouldn't want to spend a long road trip in the back seat of most convertibles. Our two standard carry-ons plus odds and ends tend to fill up the trunk of most convertibles. We use the back seat for extra storage, but you wouldn't have that option.

10. Re: Convertible rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 03:17