We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike ride to Sausalito

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
Bike ride to Sausalito

I have read a few posts where a bike ride to Sausalito is mentioned (ride bike to Sausalito and take ferry with bike back ...) How long is the bike ride from Fishermans Wharf area to Sausalito (leisurely pace)?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

I would say 2-3 hours. There are a couple of uphills that I see many people walking up (not everyone!). So factor in your fitness. And of course, there are so many wonderful photo ops that you'll want to stop practically every foot for another snap!

Finally, about 1/4 mile before the bridge (just before the last uphill) is the Warming Hut which is a little cafe/bookstore/souvenier shop run by the National Parks. It's a nice spot to stop for a coffee and browse before tackling the last hill (this is going from bay level to bridge deck).

If you want to add just a little, continue on from the Warming Hut on the flat to Fort Point. Some great perspectives from right under the bridge. And there are sometimes surfers out there as well as some harbor seals. You will have to pedal back to the Warming Hut to get up the hill but it's an easy out and back.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

Hi

Can highly recommend this ride. One of the highlights of my trip !! took me about 21/2 hours with alot of stops for photos etc. I am moderately fit. Pretty much as described above.

Enjoy !!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Do you know how many miles it is from Fishermans Wharf to Sausalito? Any recommendations as to where to rent bikes? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Fishermans Wharf. Our trip is in early March; I sure hope the weather is nice enough to do this ride because I am really looking forward to it! Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

It's 7-8 miles from Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito. It's a pleasant ride because so much of it is off city streets.

There are three main bike rental companies and some have multiple outlets at Fisherman's Wharf: Bay City Bikes, Bike and Roll and Blazing Saddles. Check their websites as I've seen online discount coupons. You can also check Yelp for reviews. I have never used any of them, but I recall a DE here said she rented from Bay City Bikes and was pleased.

It's a fun trip. Great views of course but what makes it great IMO is being able to see so much at your pace. Enjoy.

There is a Top Question on this trip that has good advice about the etiquette involved with riding on the bridge. Some good info there as well.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 14:53
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

How much longer time wise is the bike trip if you add on the ride to Tiburon and then ferry back to the ferry building?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

There's no direct ferry service between Tiburon and the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Blue and Gold runs ferries from Tiburon to Pier 41, just north of Pier 39. From Sausalito Golden Gate Transit runs ferries to the Ferry Building, while Blue and Gold has service to Pier 41 (Blue and Gold's parent company operates Pier 39 so the Pier 41 centricity is no surprise).

In either case, the ferry trip itself is only 25-30 minutes. The wild card is the ferry schedules themselves, with Golden Gate running a total of six ferry runs on weekdays, spaced roughly 80 minutes apart. Blue and Gold has a total of six runs Tiburon and five from Sausalito with roughly 70 minute spacing. This means that if you miss a ferry you've got a significant wait until the next one.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

That is great info. How long is the bike ride from Sausalito to Tiburon?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

An hour max. It's nice. The path follows Richardson Bay and then, the one bad part, takes the road which goes over the freeway so you have to cross on and off ramps. After that it's nice and once at Blackie's Pasture the bike/walking path is well off the road.

However, there aren't as many dining options in Tiburon.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

Blazing Saddles is amazing and the staff there are really fun. they have a location at 2715 Hyde street in between Beach and Norhpoint just a block away from your hotel. I have used there bikes many times and have always been happy. I hope you enjoy your ride, You will remember it for years to come.

malta
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike ride to Sausalito

Hi, was reading this thread and thought maybe you could help out.

My husband and I are visiting San Francisco in September next year and am planning the bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. My husband is fine with biking but I have to admit am still quite green. I figure I've go 10 months to train - is the route too ambitious for me? I think of myself as quite fit, I am a modest runner and am presently training for my second half-marathon.

I've looked up some rental companies (blazing saddles, bike and roll bay city bikes - already mentioned here) and they all seems to offer either self guided or group rides. I guess we would be more at ease with a self-guided ride where we can do it all at our own pace. Having said this, is the route easy to follow, esp the part from the bridge to Sausalito? I assume there are marked bike lanes/trails, or not?

Would be great to hear from you, especially if you have already done this before!