We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Topic
which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

We're planning to have a girls-night-out on the coming weekend. Would like to know which hotel in union square is safer to walk after clubbing. We're considering monaco hotel, grand hyatt, hilton tower, and omni. Please let us know...

Also some great clubs suggestions in union square will be nice, thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

anything east of Union Square is safer than anything west. The Hilton is the farthest west before I would consider it totally unsafe to walk around, if I were a girl and doing the girls-night-out thing. Out of the ones mentioned, I would say, in order of safest to least safe is Omni (actually in the financial district, so no one's there at night), Grand Hyatt, Monaco, and then Hilton. And there aren't any clubs in Union Square, other than the few hotel ones. Most clubs are either in North Beach or South of Market (SOMA). I recommend going to the ones in SOMA, but I don't recommend walking there. It's not the best area. Since you're from LA, I'd say it's like hanging outside Hollywood Boulevard at night after a club. You wouldn't really want to walk around that neighborhood at night (I don't think this is the best example, but you know what I mean.). Same thing with SOMA, so just take a cab. But that's where most of the clubs (at least the ones I like) are.

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

Thanks a lot !! Have you been to Ruby Skye? I found this club on web. Just wonder how it is.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

There are no clubs in Uhion Square?

What about Harry Denton's Starlite Lounge at the top of the Sir Francis Drake?

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

I have never been to Ruby Skye but have been invited to some ellaborate parties there. That place always seems to be rockin' but I do hear that the enterance fee is quite steep. They are only a block away from Union Square

There is also Fluid on Mission near 3rd? across the street from the Cartoon museum. Small place but fun when I was there (which was for a special event).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

OK, just to clarify, there are a few clubs in the Union Square area, like Ruby Skye, which is pretty nice, and the Starlight Room, but not too many, as compared to SOMA and other places. When I think of clubbing, I don't think of Union Square. I know Ruby Skye has a link, so do a search and check out the site. If you like it, you can go there. It has the convenience of being close by. But other than those 2 clubs, there aren't really any clubs in the Union Square area. And I consider Fluid to be SOMA.

San Pablo...
Level Contributor
336 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

My professional association held its conference in SF this year and a group of members were mugged outside the Hilton. Men and women together. I'd stick to Union Square or the Marriott just south of Market. But definately cab it when in doubt.

Level Contributor
221 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel's surrounding area is safer at night

The Orchard Hotel for lodging and Ruby Skye for clubbing. When I stayed at the Orchard, there were plenty of clubbers (girls night weekenders) staying, too. My grandson told me that Suite 181 was nice; I don't know about those clubs, though. But those kids like to have fun at Harry Denton's at the Sir Francis Drake on Powell. If you do that, stay at the Chancellor across the street.