We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do if it rains

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
231 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do if it rains

I have planned alot of activities for my 2.5 day visit early June. and most of the activities are outdoors - sight seeing. What are some indoor attractions as an alternate just incase the weather is bad and we are not able to bike across the bridge. Besides shopping malls....I have the cable car museum, the Ferry Building.....

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do if it rains

In the last 57 years of recorded weather history, it has rained an average of once a month in June. Should that rare day occur when you are visiting...I actually recommend an outdoor activity for part of the day...The Japanese Tea Garden is at it's absolute most amazing in the rain. Tea in the pavilion on a rainy day is sublime.

San Francsico, like Toronto, is a leading film city and many smaller independent films will be running...The Castro Theater is always a treat..

West Thurrock...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do if it rains

id be amazed if it did rain but you could still go to alcatraz most of if not all of the tour is inside so you wont get wet dont let a little rain put you off have a great trip

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do if it rains

And don't forget the Conservatory of Flowers (www.conservatoryofflowers.org) in Golden Gate Park, a beautiful Victorian glass building filled with exotic flowers and water features. Also, the Legion of Honor (www.thinker.org/legion), a wonderful fine arts museum not far no. of Golden Gate Park. It's up on a knoll and has a beautiful view of the ocean and surrounding area. They also have a great museum gift shop inside.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do if it rains

The Museum of Modern Art is also great, and nearby is Metreon where you can play a round of hyberbowl (you can virtually bowl throught the streets of SF!) In fact, that's a great evening activity, and there are some good inexpensive places to eat there too. I say that because the other guys were rght- the chances of rain are pretty slim. Although, we HAVE been having a really rainy spring...

Toronto
Level Contributor
231 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do if it rains

well thanks guys. i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for good sunny weather. you have put my mind at ease though.. atleast there is only a slim chance of rain but i'll have to see if mother nature is on my side that week..

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do if it rains

Wear some gortex and do your outdoors meandering as planned.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do if it rains

DOn't know exactly when you will be here but the United Nations World Environment Day will be happening June 1-5 with outdoor and indoor activities. http://www.wed2005.org/0.0.php

Should be interesting.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do if it rains

The Exploratorium is a great rainy day activty, even sans enfants. Lunch at Greens over looking the Bay is a great spectacle no matter the weather and you can visit the ball park.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
5,278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do if it rains

Rain - What rain? We are close to historical records this year and we're expecting another week of rain next week.

First thing to do:

1) Pretend you are a local and comment about yet another rainy day in California. This will give you the opportunity to talk with the locals...and complain! GIve you a chance to intereact!

2) We're so used to rain here all we do is carry an umbrella and do exactly what we want to do any other day. We've sort of adopted the "Seattle life style" - if it rains, carry an umbrella!

3) Then....you have tons of things to do in San Fancisco you can do easily:

1) Fisherman's Wharf - its a covered area. Go to the museum there; then go to the aquarium at Pier 39.

2) Metreon - Catch a Movie http://www.metreon.com/

Fun place to go/eat/play with top electronic toys/

see a movie/catch IMAX

3) MOMA - Modern Art Museum (its actually pretty interesting even if you not into modern art....have a beer beforehand anbd you'll have a lot of fun here)

http://www.moma.org/

4) Go to the musuems in Golden Gate Park -unfortunately your timing is a bit early to go to the new De Young Museum - reopening this Fall

5) Have a drink at The Top of the Mark - beautiful view of San Francisco http://topofthemark.citysearch.com/

and afterwards walk through the Fairmont Hotel across the street. If you time it right, go their Happy Hour:

Tonga's Award Winning Happy Hour

Monday to Friday: 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

The Happy Hour includes an extensive buffet of Pacific Rim delicacies with items such as spare ribs, vegetable chow mein, pork buns, pot stickers, chicken drummettes, cheese, fresh fruits and crudit��s. The all-you-can-eat buffet is a 'steal' at only $7 per person with a one drink minimum at Happy Hour Prices...

You can watch the indoor rain storm (and stay completely dry.)

Stop by the Tonga Room to figure that one out....

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do if it rains

It's much more likely to be cold and foggy than rainy. Be sure to bring a warm jacket if you plan any activities on or near the bay!