We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel??

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Which hotel??

Hi there, we are a family of 6, my husband and I, our 2 19yo's and our 2 15 year olds. Accommodation is not easy to find! I have bookings in USD for 2 hotels and owner if anyone can tell me if one is that much better than the other. We value comfort and safety, proximity to decent food - only in San Francisco for 2 full days so being handy on foot to everything a plus. This is our second trip, and we all loved it so much, were keen to return. We have a booking at the Marriott Courtyard Downtown ($1800 USD for 2 rooms for 3 nights), We were not so keen on the area we stayed last time - in the Financial District, and realise that this appears to not be too far from there ??, so chose the Arganaught Hotel near Fishermans Wharf this time ( $2490 USD for 2 rooms for 3 nights). Though TBH we thought Fishermans wharf was prob the most disappointing part of last visit! I realise that this hotel is close by to that area. Any advice appreciated, on if the Arganaught that better, and worth the $, or any other suggestions ??

Many thanks

11 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,313 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Which hotel??

The teens may find the Fisherman’s wharf area better than the Financial district where the courtyard is. Have you looked at the lombar Street motels. Cow hollow suites, del sol , Buena vista inn , Columbus Inn. Another option Is the Marines Memorial hotel near union square. Also the Handlery May have some suites in the Union square area

In the FW area look at HI Express, Pier 2650 and the best western which now has a new name

Edited: 22 October 2018, 05:16
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Which hotel??

The Argonaut is a much better choice than the Courtyard and I suppose the price reflects that. It would be my preference for a Wharf Hotel.

The Columbus Motor Inn that Belo mentioned has family suites that you might be able to use. I guess you would call it a Fishermans Wharf property but it's also positioned well for a reasonable walk up to North Beach and better restaurants.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Which hotel??

Cow Hollow Suites might also have a 2 bedroom suite that will fit all of you. Or 2 rooms in their regular hotel side. It's in the Marina District that you will probably like. Where did you stay in Financial District last time and what about it did you not like?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Which hotel??

The Argonaut is in a very pretty area on the edge of Fishermans Wharf near Aquatic Park and Ghirardelli Square. Nice hotel. Downside is that you’d need to go elsewhere for dinner...walk to North Beach or uphill to Hyde Street or Polk Street Russian Hill areas.

The Cow Hollow Suites are nice and located in the vibrant and safe Marina District. Flat walk to the many restaurants on Chestnut Street or up Fillmore Street to Union Street. Close to the Palace of Fine Arts, The Presidio, Marina Green and Crissy Field. Rent bikes and explore. The Marina’s hotels such as the Cow Hollow Inn, Chelsea and Coventry are clean budget hotels...same owner. Not as upscale as the Argonaut.

I’d stay at any of these before the Marriott, especially since you’ve already stayed in the Financial District near Union Square.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,584 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Which hotel??

Neighborhoods in SF can change character within a block (or even on the other side of the street). For example, Chinatown is 'near' the Financial District, but the shops, restaurants and architecture are nothing alike.

I think the Courtyard Downtown is more Union Square (mid-rise buildings, shopping, restaurants) than Financial District (high-rise office buildings, little local character). The Argonaut is a nicer hotel than the Courtyard, but if you hated Fisherman's Wharf, I'm not sure that's enough reason to stay there. Granted, the Argonaut is in a quieter, less tacky/touristy area of the Wharf, but it's still the Wharf.

Level Contributor
3,407 posts
1 review
6. Re: Which hotel??

Actually Susan, the Marriott Courtyard Downtown is the one on 2nd Street. There is a Marriott Courtyard designated as Union Square.

The Union Square Courtyard would be a good option.

OP: If you didn't like the Wharf, then I wouldn't suggest paying a premium price for the Argonaut.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,333 posts
660 reviews
7. Re: Which hotel??

With a family of 6 the Columbus Motor Inn is ideal as the room you get has a suite with 1 bedroom (separated by a door) and then another two beds and allows up to 6 people total in the room to stay.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Which hotel??

Weighing in again as I think you want to put your 4 teens in a room together, 2 to a bed. Cow Hollow has 2 Queen beds per room. I think Columbus Inn family suite has smaller Full Beds. Something to check.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Which hotel??

Just adding the Columbus Motor Inn is as described but only has one bathroom / toilet for those family suites.

You will have to check it all out as you may still prefer two rooms with two bathrooms/

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Which hotel??

Thank you all so very much for your prompt and detailed responses! Have decided to hang the expense and stay at the arganaut (?spelling..)

Yes.. definitely been hard to find 2 queen beds in a room, but research and TA pays off!

Reply to: Which hotel??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted