We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting San Francisco with family

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Visiting San Francisco with family

I need advise on what hotel to choose. What area is best for families? I have 4 options so far:

Beck's motor lodge (Castro)

Beresford Arms (Union square)

Hampton Inn (South San Francisco)

Seaside Inn (Marina)

I know the Hampton Inn is by the airport, is it worth it traveling everyday to SF? We don't have a car. Or is it better to stay in downtown SF?

26 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

Definitely better to stay in San Francisco. The airport is not in San Francisco and is not good for commuting in. I would recommend Union Square.

Level Contributor
3,400 posts
1 review
2. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

I presume you commute to your job. Do you enjoy it so much you wish to commute to your vacation as well?

Stay in SF to see SF.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

Hahaha. Ok got it!! But what area is safer? I’m traveling with kids

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

Union Square is perfectly safe but you would see less homeless people in the Marina if that is a concern for you.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,580 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

Even if you stay in the Marina, you'll be visiting areas where you'll see homeless (including Fisherman's Wharf). All of your choices are 'safe' in terms of personal safety*. Union Square is most convenient in terms of public transportation to different areas of the city, but yes, you'll likely see more homeless there. And I suppose there is some risk of accidentally wandering into the Tenderloin, an unpleasant area that's nonetheless easy to avoid.

*Use 'big city street smarts' in any of the areas, but we don't have a lot of violent crime against tourists... if tourists are victims, it's mostly phone-snatching/pick-pocketing and car break-ins.

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

Union Square for sure.

San Francisco...
14 posts
7. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

Of these four choices your best choice is Beck's Motor Lodge.

Beck's motor lodge (Castro)

Even though this is near a LBGTQ area, this is an excellent location for accessing public transit to go to family oriented attractions. You can easily take the L train from Church or Castro stations to the SF Zoo. You can also the the N train from Duboce Park to Inner Sunset which is a block from Golden Gate Park. Family attractions in GG Park include the CA Academy of Sciences, Japanese Tea Garden,SF Botanical Garden & the De Young museum. You can also take the N train all the way to Ocean Beach. To get to Fisherman's Wharf from this location you can take the K,L or M train to Embarcadero and transfer to the F Car or you can take the F car directly for a slow ride down Market St. Duboce Park also has an excellent playground if you are travelling with small children. Its also close to a Safeway for the kid's favorite food items.

Beresford Arms (Union square)

This is not really Union Square. It is 3 blocks from Union Square and 3 blocks from the heart of the Tenderloin. Its not a bad area but its just 2 blocks to bad areas.Union Square is ok for people who like expensive stores but does not offer much for families.

Hampton Inn (South San Francisco)

Ok if you have a car. No way if you do not have a car.

Seaside Inn (Marina)

A very pleasant area but it puts you in the northeast corner of the city. You will be far from Golden Gate Park and will not have access to the subway trains. Lombard St has tons of traffic going to/from the Golden Gate Bridge. The #30 bus will be your main method of transit in this area. Its also convenient for Uber rides.

Level Contributor
3,400 posts
1 review
8. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

I have to disagree with the previous post on a number of points.

The Beresford Arms is most definitely Union Square. Just about any hotel near the Square could be defined as "3 blocks from the Tenderloin." But no one has to go there. Further, Market Street, which is 1-2 blocks from the Square is the hub of transit for the city, including the airports. Who says it's not for families? The Museum of Ice Cream? Yerba Buena Center.

The buses through the Marina are MUCH more than the 30-Stockton. The 28-19th Ave runs along Lombard and goes to the Bridge and the then directly to Golden Gate Park. I'd bet a lost faster than from the Castro. I live in the Marina and can get from Francisco & Richardson to Park Presidio & Fulton about as fast as I can drive.

About all I can agree on is that SSF is not a place to stay.

You indicate that you're visiting family. Where do they live? Don't you want to be close to where they are?

Level Contributor
6,732 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

Seaside Inn is fine if you don't mind long walks (along the bay) to Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square but their rooms are quite small...a bit cramped for families. Look at Columbus Motor Inn and Coventry Motor Inn maybe.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: Visiting San Francisco with family

I also disagree with a lot of what is said in #7.

>>> Even though this is near a LBGTQ area <<<

What's wrong with being near a LBGTQ area?

>>> this is an excellent location for accessing public transit <<<

You know what's an even better location for accessing public transit? Union Square, with its proximity to Market St.

>>> This is not really Union Square. <<<

The Beresford Arms absolutely is Union Square.

>>> Union Square is ok for people who like expensive stores <<<

It's also good for people who like inexpensive stores (Macys) and it's great for people who like a location convenient to so much sightseeing and so much good public transit. It's close to Chinatown, North Beach, Nob Hill, Fishermans Wharf, lots of shopping, restaurants etc.

Reply to: Visiting San Francisco with family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted