We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel

Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Topic
travel

has anyone traveled from King Salmon, AK to Haines, AK and how did you getthere?

Morrison Guide Service
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Frigate Adventure Travel
Fishing Charters & Tours
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel

Welcome to TA.

I have been to both King Salmon and Haines but not on the same trip. The only way I know of to get between the two is King Salmon-Anchorage-Juneau with Alaska Air. Then from Juneau you either take a small plane or a ferry to Haines.

John

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel

After posting the last message, I failed to mention flying to Whitehorse but that is very complicated - from Fairbanks to Whitehorse is not daily and from Whitehorse to Haines is only with a rental car. Very complicated indeed.

Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel

Thanks for your input.

I have finally surrendered to the fact the only way to Haines is thru Anchorage, Juneau and finally Haines.

I do appreciate your help anyway....Alaska sure is big!!!!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel

Alaska is indeed big. You can cut it in half and make two states and Texas would still be only the third largest state!

Generally when I plan my trips to Alaska, I try to concentrate in one area of the state. For example, in July I am traveling to SE Alaska - Glacier Bay, Juneau and Wrangell. Even that is a fair amount of travel on planes but they are all frequent flyer tickets so it is inexpensive.

Other times I try to concentrate on southcentral Alaska - flying into Anchorage, exploring places within a few hours drive of there and maybe adding on one more city, like I did to King Salmon last year. Frequent flyer tickets with some airlines are great in this regard - allowing one stop en route to a final destination.

John

Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel

a great travel office was a big help!!

Wigi you were great!!! Whitsett Travel was great!!!

6. Re: travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 05:29
Get answers to your questions about King Salmon
Recent Conversations