We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel

Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Topic
travel

has anyone traveled from King Salmon, AK to Haines, AK and how did you getthere?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel

Welcome to TA.

I have been to both King Salmon and Haines but not on the same trip. The only way I know of to get between the two is King Salmon-Anchorage-Juneau with Alaska Air. Then from Juneau you either take a small plane or a ferry to Haines.

John

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel

After posting the last message, I failed to mention flying to Whitehorse but that is very complicated - from Fairbanks to Whitehorse is not daily and from Whitehorse to Haines is only with a rental car. Very complicated indeed.

Mentioned in this post
Whitehorse
Whitehorse
Yukon, Canada
Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel

Thanks for your input.

I have finally surrendered to the fact the only way to Haines is thru Anchorage, Juneau and finally Haines.

I do appreciate your help anyway....Alaska sure is big!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel

Alaska is indeed big. You can cut it in half and make two states and Texas would still be only the third largest state!

Generally when I plan my trips to Alaska, I try to concentrate in one area of the state. For example, in July I am traveling to SE Alaska - Glacier Bay, Juneau and Wrangell. Even that is a fair amount of travel on planes but they are all frequent flyer tickets so it is inexpensive.

Other times I try to concentrate on southcentral Alaska - flying into Anchorage, exploring places within a few hours drive of there and maybe adding on one more city, like I did to King Salmon last year. Frequent flyer tickets with some airlines are great in this regard - allowing one stop en route to a final destination.

John

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel

a great travel office was a big help!!

Wigi you were great!!! Whitsett Travel was great!!!

6. Re: travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 05:29
Get answers to your questions about King Salmon