We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Bar Harbor

Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Boston to Bar Harbor

Leaving Boston on Monday morning. Never have been to the coastal area, so need advice/opinions/suggestions. On our way to Acadia area, should we drive all the way to Camden the first day? Or is that too far to enable us to enjoy some stops and scenery. Should we just make Kennebunkport our first stop for all Monday and that night? Then do the rest of leg to Bar Harbor on Tuesday? Or again, should we stop sooner to enjoy walking, shopping, eating, looking? Of course, on the way back to Boston on Thursday, we can see what we missed. Fly out of Boston on Friday noon. Please help us manage the legs of our trip to make the most of the time we have. thanks in advance.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

Camden is only a 2-3 hour drive from Boston. Bar Harbor is about 5 hours. I can't answer whether or not this is too far as I don't know how far you feel comfortable driving. Kennebunk is only an hour. It's a nice town. If you want to explore all these towns along the coast, maybe you should stay in Camden or Rockland. Then you can take a nice leisurely drive from Boston stopping in Kennebunk, Kittery, Freeport, Portland and Bath along your way. I prefer the B&B's in Rockland to stopping in Camden although I do enjoy the shops and Cappy's Pub in Camden. Of course, that limits the time you get to spend enjoying Acadia National Park.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
160 reviews
2. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

B B

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any real differences between this question and the one you posted yesterday under "Four Days to Sightsee in Late May". For those who monitor the Maine Forum regularly, our answer to this question would be the same as our answer yesterday....

Keeping your questions in a single forum post will make it easier for those trying to help you to make more helpful recommendations. By splintering your trip concerns, you create a situation where you're more apt to get partial responses that won't combine well into a connected trip....

As already noted, for my recommendations about whether or not Camden is do-able in one day from Boston, please see your previous post.

Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

Why thank you. You are very astute and not missing a thing. I have made a total of 8 posts and you have made 2, 718. Thanks for helping me learn.

Seguin
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

Trying to read all posts about fall foliage. My husband and I will be flying into Boston the first of October. We will stay there a few days and then head to Maine. I am leaning towards staying in Bar Harbor when choosing between Bar Harbor and Camden. Will Bar Harbor be a good location for a few days to experience Maine. Then heading towards New Hampshire for a few days and then Vermont. Any suggestions. We are in our 50's with no children with us. Thanks:)

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
160 reviews
5. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

Bar Harbor in early October should offer you a great Maine experience -- you'll be there at one of our favorite times of year....and while Camden is a great mid-coast destination, it doesn't have Acadia National Park (and all it has to offer) in the back yard. Your plan of driving from Boston to Bar Harbor and then on to New Hampshire and Vermont should give you wonderful odds of hitting "peak" foliage color somewhere along the way.... As trees turn color, the most vivid, most widespread color generally starts in the higher elevations of the northern NH and western Maine mountains and works its way east and south toward the coast..... Your itinerary will have you hitting the southern Maine coast (ideal if "peak" color arrives early), Maine's mid-coast and downeast region (ideal if "peak" is about average), and Maine-NH-VT's mountain region (ideal if "peak" is late). Should be a great trip!

6. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 21:05
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
315 reviews
7. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

MOTG - tried to send you a private message and I got a message back that you are not accepting messages at this time. Could you PM me please?

8. Re: Boston to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:16