We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

I was wondering if its worth traveling to lubec from bar harbor on a day trip to see the easternmost coast and also see the sights along the way. Any suggestions on what to do and see on the way also will be helpfull.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

If you only have three days in Bar Harbor and Acadia, then no it isn't worth that day trip because there is so much to see right in the Bar Harbor area. If you have four or more days in the Acadia region, then yes it would be worth it.

On the way to Lubec you could drive out to see Shoodic Point, a detached part of Acadia National Park. There is a large area of bare granite rocks that you can walk out on and watch the waves splash high. Be careful.

You can stop in Machias, although there isn't much there. There are a few state parks in the area that have interesting hikes and views. Lubec itself is built on a high peninsula with great views all around. The rushing tide under the bridge to Campobello Island is always stunning. Campobello itself might be worth a visit. It is Canada but only a short bridge separates it from Lubec. President Roosevelt's summer home is open to tour on Campobello.

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

I would agree with Bonnie on the timing. We go to both Acadia and Lubec at least once a year, and we love both. If you have adequate time in Acadia, a drive to Lubec is worth it.

In my opinion, Schoodic is the only must-stop point on the way to Lubec. I've also visited Roque Bluffs State Park and Jasper Beach, close to Machias, and didn't find them to be favorite stops for future visits. Beals Island and Jonesport had some nice harbor photography opportunities, but there's enough to do in Lubec/Campobello for a day that I would just stop in Schoodic and then head right to Lubec.

In Lubec, there's the red and white stripe West Quoddy lighthouse, with a trail along the coastline that has stunning views. In the rushing tide under the bridge to Campobello Island, we've often seen seals. You should definitely visit Campobello -- you'll need your passport to do so. There are two more lighthouses on Campobello (the East Quoddy is particularly great to see), and the Roosevelt home is a beautiful property to tour. There are several scenic ocean lookouts on the island; my favorite is at Liberty Point.

Enjoy your trip to Maine ... I'm counting the days till our summer visit!

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
3. Re: Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

Whether you drive up there or not, I have some photos that you might like to look at before you make up your mind. Depending on how much time you have, there is a great puffin trip out of Cutler, Maine (Bold Coast Charters) to Machias Seal Island. You do have to make advance reservations, though, and you should allow all day for the trip. I have some nice shots on my flickr page from Lubec, Campobello etc on my fickr page and will be happy to answer any questions from my yearly experiences of driving up there. Here is my flickr page... http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrickard5/sets/

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,232 posts
160 reviews
4. Re: Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

Guess the matter of "worth" depends on what's important to you.... It's a two to two-and-a-half hour trip one way without stops -- so definitely would want to give yourself a full day in order to make it worthwhile....

If either of the boys are interested in geography, having them stand on "the easternmost point in the US" might make the drive worthwhile.... as already noted, except for the side trip to the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park (which is one of my favorite places in the entire Park), a visit to a small coastal Maine town (Lubec), interesting high tides, and that truly unique lighthouse at West Quoddy Head (right next to the State Park), it doesn't have a lot to make the drive worthwhile. If you've seen, or have plans and time to see, everything you want to see, or do, in Acadia and Bar Harbor, it might make an interesting day trip. But if it means sacrificing Acadia activities, you have to make the decision about "worth" based on the geography consideration, a chance to see a different part of Maine, etc.

If you do go, instead of following Rt 1 or Rt 1A all the way, take the ride across Rt 182 between Hancock and Cherryfield either coming or going -- it's a designated State Scenic Highway and can be very pretty at times. Travel time is about the same as using Rt 1 or 1A....

Rockville, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
194 reviews
5. Re: Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

I agree with Bonniemaev...if you have time it is worth the trip. That part of the state has an entirely different feel to it. If you have time I would actually suggest an overnite stay. Leave early, hit Schoodic, go up to Lubec, visit the lighthouse and then go over into Canada. We stayed at Pollock Cove cottages right on the water in Canada. Explore the parks up there. They are beautiful and the tides are quite amazing.

6. Re: Is it worth driving to Lubec from bar harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:19