We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Trail Query

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Ocean Trail Query

Hi all,

We will be in Bar Harbour in November on a cruise stop. We would like to do the Ocean Trail walk, but are struggling to figure out exactly where the walk starts from. Would we need to get a taxi from where the cruise terminal is, or could we just walk to the starting point?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Ocean Trail Query

The walk starts right at the port:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Ocean Trail Query

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That’s what I hoped. I’d checked the reviews, but just wanted to double check, as it wasn’t that clear.

All we need now is favourable weather.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,564 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Ocean Trail Query

I'm not sure exactly which trail you are referring to. The URL above is actually called The Shore Path and is right in the village of Bar Harbor. But maybe you are thinking of the trail in Acadia National Park which runs from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs. To do that you would have to take a taxi.

Here is a description of that trail: https:/…oceanpath.cfm

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Ocean Trail Query

Ah, thank you for that. It’s definitely the Ocean Trail we want to do, as I believe it’s longer than the Shore Path walk.

So how long would the taxi journey take?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,564 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Ocean Trail Query

From your tender dock to Sand Beach in Acadia National Park is about 15 minutes. But you would need to arrange your taxi ride ahead of time. Bar Harbor is a small village and doesn't really have taxis queueing for passengers as a big city would. Here is one of the taxi services: http://atyourservicetaxi.com/cruiseships.html

Or https://amys-taxi-tours.business.site

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
6. Re: Ocean Trail Query

The Ocean Path is definitely longer, but more importantly it's the one with far better scenery, assuming you're interested in the natural scenery instead of cultural scenery.

A thorough list of the iconic places in the park could include a few more, but perhaps the only must see spots for a very short visit that aren't along the path are Jordan Pond and the Bubbles, and the Bass Harbor Head lighthouse. Besides the starting and ending points you'll see Thunder Hole, Monument Cove, and Boulder Beach. You'll want to frequently wander off the path and onto the rocks rather than settling for just the views from the path itself, but try to avoid the many herd paths that trample the vegetation.

It also may make sense to be dropped off at Otter Point and walk back to Sand Beach. No real difference which way you walk, but that could let you know exactly where your pick up point will be. Besides being able to see your pick up point on the way to Otter Cliffs, the Sand Beach end of the path starts right at the corner of an actual parking lot, and probably a more convenient spot to wait.

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: Ocean Trail Query

Thank you so much for the replies, really helpful, especially the taxi links.

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Ocean Trail Query

Just an after thought on reading about Arcadia Park, will we need a park pass, and if so how much would that be? Thank you

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Ocean Trail Query

Ah, after some research, I can answer that one myself haha.

We don’t because it’s in November.

Thanks again all.

Reply to: Ocean Trail Query
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted