We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from St. Andrews, NB to Bar Harbor - best route?

Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
69 reviews
Drive from St. Andrews, NB to Bar Harbor - best route?

We'll be traveling in mid-August to visit St. Andrews, NB for a couple of days and then driving to Bar Harbor. The fastest route appears to be inland on Route 9 but is Route 1 more scenic since it is near the coast? Any suggestions on a nice town to stop for lunch along either of these routes?

3 replies to this topic
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,213 posts
158 reviews
1. Re: Drive from St. Andrews, NB to Bar Harbor - best route?

Route 1 will provide intermittent glimpses of coastline -- mostly bays and inlets -- but no real expanses of ocean or coastline.... the highway cuts across the inland end of numerous peninsulas, but the classic coastal views are off Rt 1 down at the end of the peninsulas, often requiring a down-and-back trip over the same route... and there are a few loops off-from-and-then-back-to Rt 1, but all would add travel time to your trip. Rt 9 is scenic in a different way, with expansive views of blueberry fields and Maine forests and woodlands.

If you take Rt 1, Helen's Restaurant or the Blue Bird Ranch Restaurant (on opposite sides of the road in Machias) would make a good lunch stop. Few if any lunch places on that part of Rt 9 -- I'd eat in St Stephen, NB or wait until you get to Ellsworth.....

Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Drive from St. Andrews, NB to Bar Harbor - best route?

Thanks very much. I think my family might enjoy the little chocolate museum in St. Stephen and/or the Wild Blueberry Festival in Machias which will be going on the weekend we're passing through. Any thought on these?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,213 posts
158 reviews
3. Re: Drive from St. Andrews, NB to Bar Harbor - best route?

Sorry -- no personal experience with either one...

Reply to: Drive from St. Andrews, NB to Bar Harbor - best route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor
Recent Conversations