We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

Wayside, New Jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

Hi in bar harbor now having a great time had planned to travel to Schoodic Peninsula tomorrow but they forecast thunderstorms Is it first safe to travel there(flooding?) and once there will the rocks be too slippery to even chance doing Thanks for any information you can give

6 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

It's safe. The roads are unlikely to flood. There is a nice parking lot at the point of the peninsula. You can safely stay in the car during a down pour and watch the waves beat on the rocks. Usual precautions about lightning, etc.

Generally the thunderstorms we get along the coast pass over very quickly. Schoodic looks eerie and majestic in the fog. Stephen King country.

Edited: 17 July 2018, 01:07
Wayside, New Jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

Wow that sounds great thanks for the information

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

Schoodic Point is a very popular place when hurricanes pass out-to-sea. The pounding sea becomes very dramatic. Park Rangers have to control traffic out there and remind people to not do anything crazy. One year a woman, holding her small dog in one arm and a cell phone in the other, handed a camera to a friend to take a picture of her and the dog with the waves in the background. The next rogue wave took her in. A lobsterman recovered the body.

It's not Disney World, folks. Be careful out there. The real world comes with real consequences for foolish behavior.

Edited: 17 July 2018, 02:05
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

Yeah - but how is the dog?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

If memory serves, the dog scrambled to safety. My question was always about the person left holding the camera. And the person on the other end of the phone call the woman was making. I found a web page about deaths in Acadia, going way back to the 1800s. That one wasn't in there. Instead they noted an older couple being washed out from Schoodic Point and the Coast Guard recovering their bodies. But I know for a fact not all of the deaths in the last 22 years I've lived here are on that page.

Edited: 19 July 2018, 14:02
Maryland
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm

If weather allows and you time it right you can walk to Little Moose Island (I think 90 minutes on each side of low tide - maybe longer). The easier walk is early on the loop - we kept driving and walked through mud on the walk over and rocks on the walk back.

Park legally - not on the side of the road - we almost got a ticket.

There's a well placed warning sign before the Beehive trail- I can easily understand why people die on that hike but it was amazing (short but amazing with great views).

Reply to: Visit Schoodic in thunderstorm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor
Recent Conversations