We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Windward side, how windy is it?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
The Windward side, how windy is it?

Hi

Hopefully, I am staying at Kailua for 5 nights in July 2011.

My girlfriend and I are hoping for a nice relaxing beach holiday, as we will have come from LA and will fly to Vegas either side of our Hawaii stay.

How windy is it on the beach? There will be times when we fancy a sunbathing and snorkelling day on the beach, is this possible on the windward side in July?

Thanks

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,394 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Windward side, how windy is it?

The windward side is beautiful in July. Normal trade winds are 10-15mph. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's when they don't blow, you need to watch out. Makes for very humid conditions. Just be prepared for a small trade shower blowing through. These are more of a mist than anything and usually last just a few minutes. That's why everything on that side is so green!!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Windward side, how windy is it?

"Windward" has to do with what side of the mountain range an area is located, not that is is particularly windy. The prevailing winds come from one direction and windward sides of islands are on the side of the island that faces that direction. This side tends to get more rain, as the mountain/volcano blocks some of the weather from getting to the leeward side.

Here is a link to weather averages for all of Hawai`i, and you can see what I mean:

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx

As said above, summer is the dry season in Hawai`i.

3. Re: The Windward side, how windy is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:16