We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hale Hookipa Inn or Kuau Plaza condo?

Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hale Hookipa Inn or Kuau Plaza condo?

Hi,

Been a long time reader, but 1st time poster. I would be grateful to get some opinions on where to stay around Paia for 2 night since we'll be arriving late at Kahului airport. We're also planning on going to Hana and Haleakala so staying around Paia would help cut down the driving time a bit. We're a family of 4 w/ 2 teen girls.

I checked VRBO and found listing #289705. It fits our budget really well but I'm a little nervous since there is no traveler reviews and the Kuau Plaza condo had been reviewed as more of a surfer place than a family place. Hale Hoopika Inn looks nice, but we need to stay in the Kona Wing to get the 2 bedrooms so it's a bit more expensive for us ($170). Our budget is round $150/nt. I checked other places but they don't pan out either due to min. nt requirement or they don't take children.

Anyone has any opinions about either place? Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

michigan
Level Contributor
215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hale Hookipa Inn or Kuau Plaza condo?

I have not stayed in either, but since y ou arent getting any responses I will tell you that I have stayed on the NorthShore around the Kuau Plaza many times... and I think you would be very disappointed. It is older, apartment looking, and very tired. It seems to have primarily surfers and windsurfers. It is near Mamas Fish House, but has no atmosphere what so ever. If you are looking for a place to stay on that side of the Island primarily for a night, I would try one of the hotels near the airport ( they are not luxury by any means but would be ok for a one night stay ) or check with Mamas Fish House and see what they have available in their cottages.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hale Hookipa Inn or Kuau Plaza condo?

I would almost suggest Maalea or N. Kihei for 2 nights rather than Paia. It might add 15 minutes of driving each way but is more suited to families.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hale Hookipa Inn or Kuau Plaza condo?

As you have noticed, this is an area that is many used for surfers and wind surfers, not your typical tourist type family. The Paia Inn may have something, don't know what their rates are. The hotels in Kahului are also good, more like motel 8 on the mainland!! If those aren't to your liking your only other bet would be Maalaea, Kihei or a bed & breakfast in Wailuku.

Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hale Hookipa Inn or Kuau Plaza condo?

Thank you so much for your help. I was not considered N. Kihei because I thought it is still a drive. But it does not seem that bad. I'll check in that area then. Thanks again.

5. Re: Hale Hookipa Inn or Kuau Plaza condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Paia
Recent Conversations
More Paia Topics