We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana Road Trip

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hana Road Trip

We are planning a 7 day trip to Maui and will be spending 5 days at the Kea Lani. We thought we would do the road to Hana on the day of arrival from Oahu. The problem we need some advice concerns our luggage. We'll have it with us as we travel from the airport to Hana. Any suggestions on how to plan this portion of our trip would be appreciated.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana Road Trip

If you have your bags with you I would say you have two options to be 100% sure you don't have them stolen:

Don't stop.

If you do stop have one of you stay with the car.

A better plan is to go another day, get an early start and enjoy the ride.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana Road Trip

Do you have any suggestions for where on Maui we should stay for the first two nights assuming we do the road to Hana early on the second day? Also, I saw that the road past Hana is open so that we can do a loop rather than backtrack on the return. Do we need a 4 wheel drive for this? (Last 5 nights Kea Lani) Thanks for your help.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana Road Trip

Depending on what time your flight arrives from HNL the drive to Hana is doable. When you pick up your rental car, put everything in your trunk. If you need personal items like cameras, totes, or electronics keep them with you. Never leave anything visible in the car. Don't get in your trunk unless you are getting in your car and moving on.

Otherwise there are two hotels in Kahului that are reasonably priced - Maui Seaside and Maui Beach Hotel.

The best tip I have at the moment is to allow lots of time to enjoy the drive, stop often, and be safe.

A 4WD is not needed on any of the islands.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana Road Trip

You could stay on the West side..Sheraton gets great reviews or the Kaanapali Beach Hotel (older but soo Hawaiian).Spend the first few days enjoying this part of Maui. Great time to do the Old Lahaina Luau since you will be close by. (Sheraton to Kea Lani is about a one and 1/2 hr drive)

Store your luggage after check out at hotel and continue exploring West Maui. Then move down to Kea Lani. Once you are located on the south side then plan your Hana road trip.

That's what I'd do...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
651 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana Road Trip

I suggest that you stay in Hana for a nite or two. It's beautiful and totally different from the rest of the island.

6. Re: Hana Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Paia
Recent Conversations