We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Paia for a week?

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Paia for a week?

Hi, my husband and I are traveling to Maui for a week in March. Several people have recommended Paia as a non touristy gem. I've read the previous discussions from two years ago (all pretty negative) and I am wondering if things have changes since then. Also, any feedback on Mangolani Inn? Many thanks!

19 replies to this topic
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

A gem? Hmm.

What do you want to see and do on Maui? Paia is convenient for wind surfing and Mama's Fish House. Easy drive Upcountry. If you want Hana, you want Hana, not Paia. *Most* people stay South Maui or West Maui for the good swimming and snorkeling beaches and more 'man made' attractions.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

The main street of Paia is filled with touristy shops and often clogged with traffic. However the areas surrounding downtown Paia are peaceful and beautiful.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

Mangolani is a weird setup. Unless you rent the large portion, you share an outdoor kitchen and a bathroom that's also *outside*. I think it's fine for 20 somethings, LOL........but most people want to have a little more comfort.

Paia is not what it was. It's crowded, has a large drug problem, and a lot of chronic homeless who aren't nice people. You will also need to watch for more bugs and critters there, esp up Baldwin where this is.

Edited: 29 January 2017, 00:55
florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

Hi there I'm jumping in with a question or 2 as well!!! We arrive in Maui on Oct.22( yes, I know, Ive waited sooooo late to book a place to stay. YIKKES!!!)

I'm looking at staying in Paia as well, love that organic grocery store.

We're not interested in the high rise/Lahaina scene at all. Early sixties, foodies, enjoy low key comfort. If Paia is taking a downward turn, with an increased homeless / drug scene, what would be our next best choice in that area.

Thank you so much, ( I've got to get a place booked!!!!)

Bondgirl

Maryland
Level Contributor
120 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

We (couple in our mid fifties) stayed in Paia for five days and were happy we did. We got a head start on the road to Hana, which made all the difference. Most of the drive, we did not see another car. The other days, we explored other parts of the island, so we avoided the daytime Paia crowds. We returned in the evenings to quiet. We walked to restaurants, and enjoyed the beautiful beach (usually deserted). We stayed at the Paia Inn, in the partial ocean view suite. It was perfect. I had stayed in Wailea before, in a big resort, and I much preferred the small inn in Paia. I never experienced the problems cited in the other responses.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

I don't rec Paia Inn because of the owner's history and illegal rentals.

Bondi, I would look at Tradewinds:

http://www.mauitradewinds.com/

You should also look at the Inn at Mama's.

Edited: 19 August 2017, 19:33
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

There are plenty of places to stay on both the south and west sides that are low key and do not have the Paia issues mentioned by others.

If you want to stay in the area, Mamas cottages are a good option. The location is convenient for Hana.

I have trouble understanding the previous poster with the glowing review, especially the comment about seeing few vehicles. Maybe they were last here in 1949?

Edited: 19 August 2017, 22:03
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

I find Paia nice for a couple of hours..busy, traffic, touristy , many posters stTed they didn't feel welcome at Baldwin Beach

I'd look at West or South....so much to choose from...

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

The car breakins are so bad that MPD has assigned extra people to the Paia patrol :-(.

Edited: 19 August 2017, 22:15
Maryland
Level Contributor
120 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Paia for a week?

I wrote the glowing review. I was there in June, 2016. My comment about no cars was related to being on the Hana Highway early.

Reply to: Staying in Paia for a week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paia
Recent Conversations