We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 posts
1 review
Transport

What is the best way to get around Makawao? Car rental, taxi, or bike?

8 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,052 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Transport

Welcome to Trip Advisor dmurthy!

That depends on where you are coming from. If you are staying on Maui for any length of time, I'd rent a car for sure.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Transport

You really need a car to even get to Makawao Where are you staying? Check https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ for your dates.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,893 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Transport

Car. Unless you have a horse.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,717 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Transport

If you just want to get around the little town of Makawao, walking would be the easiest. Biking wouldn't be bad either.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,145 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Transport

More info would help us help you better :-).

Are you staying long term in the Makawao area, doing a woofing experience, or working somewhere there? How long will you be on Maui?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 posts
1 review
6. Re: Transport

Thanks for your replies. There are 14 of us, 8 kids, who are staying for two weeks at a cottage in Makawao. We like the idea of biking/walking around Makawao, however, based on the replies, it seems as if we would have to rent car to get around Maui?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,052 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Transport

That must be quite a cottage, to hold that many people! I think you will want three vehicles, at the least.

Anyone have Costco membership? I'd be checking their rates, as well as DiscountHawaii. Mamma gave you the link for that company in the second post.

How are you getting everyone up to Makawao from the airport? Most people rent a car for pickup at OGG, returning it on departure.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,145 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Transport

You def need cars.

Reply to: Transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Makawao
Recent Conversations