We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who answered my questions and gave suggestions for our trip to Maui. I have snooped around more than asked questions. But, we are so excited for our trip to Maui, thanks to all the advice from this forume. We leave the house at 4am PST tomorrow morning and will arrive around Noon Maui time. This trip is very needed for our family to have time together and relax. But unfortunately, our basement flooded last night and we are desperately trying to get the drain fixed before we go, so our vacation has started on a wet and down note. Hoping to turn it around on that Magic Island of Maui. I will post a trip report when we return in a week as I don't like to spend much time online during vacation. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Doesn't just irk you to have this kind of problem right before leaving? Hope all works out. You will indeed have a magical time on Maui. We will be looking for that trip report when you come back!! Have fun!!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Wow - could be worse - it could have flooded after you left and you'd never have known! Not a great way to start a much anticipated vacation, but I hope that once you get settled in on Maui that the hassles will all fade away.

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Thanks, it is helping to focus on my trip than on the flood in my basement.

Actually, if I had not used the wasing machine last night or washed the dishes it would not have happened. But, we would have figured it out upon coming hom and using the water. At this point I think we will be leaving the mess until we get back and turn the water off to the house. My parents who live in my town are going to check on it every day.

"Maui and Mai Tai's" is my mantra right now, saying it anytime I get worried!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,990 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

I can relate ... the day before we left for Maui last April, we had extremely strong winds all day ... a good portion of the shingles on our roof blew off, and the power was out from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. It was a good reminder to not leave too much packing/getting ready until the day before (and thankfully I was well organized for that trip.) It all worked out, thanks to family help and we had a great time on Maui (with only a few phone calls while there to sort things out.)

Hope your trip goes well too!

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Susan, yes, planning is key. I had already gathered our clothing and most of the other thing, and we putting everything in the lugage, while the washing machine was going. It was when I went down to change the laundry that I found the problem. So, I am almost packed, just the last things to go in before heading out. I am a planner and yes, a control freak at times. So, it is hard to let go and not want to bag the trip. But, my husband needs this vacation so much, as a Chef, he doesn't have the freedom to travel at any time of the year. So, I plan to do the best to get things settle before we go and then leave in at the door as we head out. Although, I do think I will want more than a Mai Tai a day, maybe a two a day kind of trip!! Lol!! Thanks for the encouragement!! Love this forum!!

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Have a great time! Stuff happens (substitute four letter word for stuff)! LOL, we have had a spring break on our garage door, a leak in the waterline to our water maker, the washing machine crap out, sick kids (not all before the same trip thankfully).... I just tell myself that life goes on. I hope that you have a great time and forget about your problems and live in the moment! Savor your time on Maui. I have only been home a week tomorrow and have been struggling to keep my "Aloha" alive.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,990 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Good attitude sandasavi... we can actually look back now and laugh about that miserable day ... probably because our memories of the trip are so good!

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Pampered, thank you! Reading this Forum is helping to keep my spirits up. Life does happen and or as they say Lifes a Beach and that is were I am going!! I know once I deplane at OGG and smell the Maui air, all will be forgotten at home!! Can't wait, about 24 hours till we land in Maui!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

<<<"Maui and Mai Tai's" is my mantra right now, saying it anytime I get worried!!>>>

Love it! What a wonderful mantra. Mind if I borrow it?

Remembering all of the things we have to be grateful for, takes the bite out of those worries, doesn't it? And our trips to Maui are pretty close to the top of my gratitude list. Hope you feel the same and have a wonderful trip! Aloha

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Almost to Maui, but swimming in water...

Teri yes, gratitude is the way I feel any time I get to go on vacation with my husband and son and to Maui is like the icing on the cake!! Or, the extra rum in my Mai Tai!!

You can use the Maui and Mai tai mantra any time!!

UPDATE:

The water is finally draining out of the basement (big clean up to do tonight). The plumber is there and fixed the clog. But, it looks like we will have plenty of work to do when we return. Oh well, glad I am going on vacation, so I can be in a better mind to deal with it upon return. Or, maybe DH will find a Chef position to just keep us on Maui!! So, if you know of a good salary position for an Executive or Sous Chef position at one of the great restaurants in Maui, let me know!! I know living in Maui is different than vacationing to Maui, but Man to wake up every day on that island would make going to work easier!! Lol! Thanks everyone!