We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
127 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

I was wondering where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina? I'm thinking of walking the "Kapalua Coastal Trail" with my family (3 Adults & 2 Seniors (75), but wondering if we'll need to grab a taxi from the port to get to the trail head, and then will we be able to grab a taxi back to town when we're done walking?

We'd also like to just leisurely walk around the town (Front Street, Banyan Tree Park, Old Prison etc.) and have lunch before heading back to the Cruise Ship, do you think that's do-able?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

It depends on what cruise you are on--the NCL Pride of America docks in Kahului, not Lahaina.

If you are docking in Lahaina, you will be out in the Channel, and be tendered in and out. I'd rec renting a car for the day. It will cost you far less than 2 taxis.

Edited: 27 April 2017, 16:52
McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
127 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

We're sailing with Celebrity, so I think you're right we will be tendered in & out, but where in proximity to the town of Lahaina? You really think we would need to rent a car for the day? On the map it show's the trail as only being 20 minutes away. I didn't want to rent a car, so if that's the consensus based on walking the trail, we'll just cut that part out of our day.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,257 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

For Lahaina Town, you're tendered right in the middle of town. Very easy access to everything. Mosey to your heart's content. Taxis should be available.

I agree with Nick - I'd rent a car rather than risk being stranded at the trail. And ... you might want to stop at some other nearby sites.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

Certainly agree with AkamaiNickSW & BLBL on this. It may say "20 min" but that is 20 minutes driving time. Renting a car will allow you to explore more of the oh-so-beautiful Maui too!

Maui
Level Contributor
70,216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

The 20 minute drive to Kapalua will cost you about 40 bucks each way.

Go here for Lahaina pier rates and pickup:

https:/…cruiseshipreservation.shtml

and pick the Lahaina Harbor option.

Edited: 27 April 2017, 18:28
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

I agree with the others about car rental being cheaper. You may want the taxi for convenience reasons to walk the Kapalua Coastal trail.

The reason is that it is an 'out and back' - using a taxi would enable you to be dropped at one end and then get picked up at the other end. You can then spend more time exploring and/or time on the beach.

If you want to go into the ocean or just freshen up from the walk, there are cold showers at either end of the walk, ok as long as you don't mind going back on the tender a little wet and messy. Even if you do not go in the water, you will be sweaty anyway.

Here is some encouragement to go to this trail - check the link to my pictures when I walked it

http://bigian.smugmug.com/Kapalua

Edited: 27 April 2017, 22:17
7. Re: Where do the cruise ships come into Lahaina + taxi to trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2018, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Lahaina