We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which dolphin tour?

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
10 reviews
Which dolphin tour?

We already have a sunset cruise booked with Trilogy for next week but I want to get out on the water during the day and see dolphins! Which tour do you suggest or if not that possibly a great snorkel tour that stops in calm waters (hubby gets a little seasick)

Having a wonderful time so far after or hellashish start after arriving on Saturday.

This truly is heaven in earth😊

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1. Re: Which dolphin tour?

Probably Trilogy, Gemini or Teralani, west Maui snorkel

Calm water is very unpredictable and calm can change to windy and choppy very quickly

That said these snorkel tours don't go that far out into tne channel. They make one stop usually either Honolua Bay or Olowalu which tend to be calmer and have excellent snorkeling.

They are a bit shorter in time as well

Dolphins are here and there hard to tell, but there is a resident pod off Kaanapali so you just never know

Maui
Level Contributor
72,755 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Which dolphin tour?

Dolphins don't have houses, lol. I don't know where John gets that idea.

You have a good chance of seeing then on a half day trip, but I wouldn't go on one to Olowalu. They tend to prefer the upper end of the Au'Au channel and the Pailolo channel.

Hopefully, a half day trip will go north to Honolua, and you'll see some.

Edited: 25 April 2017, 06:19
San Marcos...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3. Re: Which dolphin tour?

Househunter

…sailtrilogy.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-…

Here is a nice explaination of the 3 resident dolphin pods on Maui. Trilogy is an excellent operation and very knowledgeable

Some tolks never get out on the water so they are a we bit limited in their knowledge

like in nature resident means non migratory, like the San Juan Islands there are 3 resident pods of Orcas that live there all the time and one transitory one

The dolphins off Maui do not migrate so they are resident pods

In fact many have condos in the rental pools LOL

Have fun

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Which dolphin tour?

Trilogy dies do a nice article that John pointed out but you can't take it too literal I think. It is an overview.. dolphins don't read and follow directions:)

In talking about the spinner pods...There are areas they are seen, but they move all over throughout Maui County which includes Lanai. Sometimes they are in closer to shore and sometimes they are further out in the channel. One group is often seen over by Lanai by the groups going over there but there is a wide area they are seen. Same over by Maui. We also see the pod of spotted dolphins over by Lanai but they tend to like deeper water although they are known to come in shallower. Bottlenose dolphins will travel alone to pairs and small groups and can be found anywhere. We often see them during whale season hanging with the dolphins.

Occasionally you will also run into "scout groups" of the spinners. Smaller groups that break off and go ahead to check things out.

It is all luck though so you just never know! Have fun.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
12,176 posts
247 reviews
5. Re: Which dolphin tour?

We saw lots of spinner dolphins and whales on our Trilogy excursion to Lanai 2 weeks ago. The captain cut the motor so we could just sit and watch them. In fact, he cut it twice. Loved it!

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6. Re: Which dolphin tour?

Travelbugged for sure it is a general overview as you point out as these guys are very mobile and have no required reading

I have seen them in these areas pointed out by Trilogy as well as other places.

Just thinking of the OP wanting to combine seeing dolphins and working with seas sick issues, I M O P Trilogy west Maui snorkel gives them a decent shot at both otherwise I'd recommend Lanai , the group there is much bigger and with more consistent sightings

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
53,025 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Which dolphin tour?

Your "best chance" to see dolphins on a snorkel trip is by either taking a Trilogy or Sail Maui trip over to Lanai.

8. Re: Which dolphin tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2018, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Lahaina