We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

1 post
Save Topic
Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

Hello, odd subject line but LSS we are booked for Maui end of June, and I'm trying to assess whether it might be doable to take day/evening trip to see Kilauea, depending entirely on VOG conditions at time. My 12 year old son has very intermittent asthma, was fine on Oahu Waimanalo last year. I've always wanted to see Kilauea-have little black and white photos of its flow from 1913, when maternal gparents met there. But will not make definite Kilauea plans due to asthma, but is it possible once there if winds and VOG are ok that 3 people could fly over next day and perhaps take boat tour showing the flow? Advice much appreciated.

Diana from CA Bay Area

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

You might be able to get flights, but last-minute tickets are expensive. And with all due respect, I think youʻd have to be nuts to risk taking an asthmatic on a boat tour thatʻs dangerous enough for the average person.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

I agree, I would never take a child on a lava boat tour, regardless of asthma. I will engage in all sorts of risky behavior as an adult ... But not with my children. Asthma is honestly the least of your worries when it comes to lava boats.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
537 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

I went to see the lava flow in November - it was truly amazing. My research steered me away from doing a boat tour and instead I booked a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour out of Hilo. Being in the helicopter with its filtered air, we honestly didn't smell anything. Also, price-wise the helicopter tour was about the same as a boat tour (and in my opinion much safer).

Kilauea itself is only 4000 ft high (compared to Haleakala's 10,023). If you take a chopper tour out of Hilo, you could also follow it up with driving up Kilauea (only about an hour's drive from Hilo) - of course, there your son may have asthma issues.

When booking, Blue Hawaiian did tell me they do not recommend people flying over just for the day, as weather is unpredictable (they do reschedule if you won't be able to see anything). We took the first Hawaiian Airlines flight over, walked right to the Blue Hawaiian booth (same airport), got on our helicopter (they held our carry-on suitcase for us). Had the most gorgeous blue sunny day for our flight. Then spent the night at the Grand Naniloa (Hilton) hotel in Hilo, the next morning drove up Kilauea (in the rain), saw lava, checked out the two information buildings, and eventually flew back home.

Would I do it with a child with asthma? I really don't know. But the experience was amazing - one we won't forget. I would pre-organize it though.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
70,044 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

The advice above is great.

I will add that for about the same price, you *could* do a flightseeing tour with Volcano Air Tours, from either Kahului or Kapalua airport.

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,761 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

Keep in mind that there are two airports on the BI, and you would want a flight to HILO, not Kona.

Also, many of the flights from Maui have a layover in Honolulu ... so take heed.

(And stay away from the lava boats.)

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

It should be noted that noxious gases do not necessarily have an odor. For instance, you can inhale carbon monoxide and never know it until you wake up dead.

7. Re: Maui to big island unscheduled trip possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2018, 06:18