We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

Rockford, Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

Hello Forum! I need your help.

This August my wife and I are traveling with our 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter for everyone's first trip to Maui for a total of 9 nights.

Currently we have the Marriott Ocean Beach Club booked for the first 5 nights, 1 bedroom suite, total cost of $799. We then have the final 4 nights next door at the Hyatt Residence Club, Ocean front 2 for around $1350. In each we get to listen to a 90 minute presentation but it sounds like a small price to pay for a great deal on the rooms.

Here's my dilemma, is this completely dumb of me? I can deal with the inconvenience of moving next door half way into our trip. But it seems as though we'll be home based on one side of the island and I just don't know if that's nutty or not.

Our plans are still forming but include:

*50% beach/pool relaxing

*50% getting out and seeing sights around the island

*I have considered a day trip to Lanai

*Even considered keeping the rooms and booking a room near Hana so we can hit that side of the island and not have to rush back

So is it dumb to set up a base camp on the West Side in the must touristy spot?

Should I cancel one of the reservations? If so - considering cost and accommodation which would you keep?

Any must-sees for family with kids around ten?

Thanks all in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

We are also staying at the Marriott Ocean (same deal as you) and considered moving to another resort for the final four days. We finally decided to stay and book the days at Marriott. Did not want the hassle of spending time re-packing, checking out, drive to new place, check in and then get back to vacationing. It seems from everything I've read, you should not have a problem making this the home base and explore. But I would gladly listen to others advice. This is our first trip to Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Level Contributor
413 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

Welcome Brian . You'll get many different responses on the location question . I love the Kaanapali area and the Marriott and Residences are very nice .The Kids will love the pools and the Hyatt has the exotic birds, penguins, koi pond etc. Just my opinion but the move next door is painless . I'm not sure what time of year you are coming ? Hana is a full 12 hour day trip , and unfortunately if it's mid summer and dry, the waterfalls will quiet . Take a trip to Honolua Bay ( Jurassic Park like rainforest, 20 min north of Kaanapali. Kapalua Bay . Rent boogie boards right at the beach for the kids if none in the units . Kids normally don't like getting up at 3 am to see sunrise , but mid morning can be beautiful up Haleakala. Drums of Pacific may work . I don't think the kids will like the food at Feast of Lele , but OLL would work . There are beaches everywhere, so if you want to explore , you can pull over at almost any spot you want and check them out . Walk to the other end at the Sheridan for the cliff dive ceremony any sunset . Recommend Captain Steve Lanai snorkeling raft for awesome snorkeling.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,728 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Honolua Bay
Honolua Bay
759 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

Don't move, why waste part of a day moving when you only have 9. You can walk around the resort next door and enjoy most of the features, except the pools, why do it?.

No need to move to another part of the island to see everything, Maui distances are small and if you change your mind about itinerary you have not got that commitment. It is a long day to see the Road to Hana but you would have to drive there and back anyway if you stay there and then you have pack / unpack - no fun with kids.

KIds will not like getting up at 1:30 am (need to leave by 2:30am for sunrise up there). They will love surfing lessons, lots of good advice on this forum for fun safe places to do it.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,245 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

This is a duplicate thread to this one:

https:/…82602599

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,160 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

You're fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. Re: Marriott Ocean Beach Club or Hyatt Residence or Both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2018, 05:17