We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals

Indiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
Car Rentals

Aloha, Was wondering if someone could recommend a car rental place? We will only need one for 3 days.

Mahalo!

IndianaLaura

15 replies to this topic
Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Car Rentals

I have a feeling there are no 'car' rentals ... at least not that I have been able to find (only 4 X 4 Jeeps for @ $140 day). That gets expensive to rent for consecutive days. Google Lanai car rental and the only one on island (Dollar) should pop up. But they don't rent cars :( I hope someone with some knowledge about Lanai will chime in ... I'd like an answer myself for upcoming trip!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Car Rentals

You might find a car but if so you won't be able to go anywhere but the paved roads with it and there are not many paved roads.

If you do choose Dollar you will need to arrange a shuttle from either the airport or ferry dock to the THE (as in the only) gas station where their office is located. Same for your return, another shuttle from the office.

We have booked with Lanai Cheap Jeeps (http://lanaicheapjeeps.com/) for our upcoming trip in October but have never used them before so not sure how good or bad they are. They will meet you at either the ferry dock or airport upon arrival but you will still need to book a shuttle for your return. We use Rabaca's, it is like $10 per person from town to the ferry dock.

Where will you be staying?

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Car Rentals

Where are you staying? If you stay at Manele you can use the shuttle and don't need a car. If you want to explore the off road sites, then rent a 4x4 for a day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Car Rentals

We just got back from Lana'i and it really does depend on what you want to do.

From what I found, I don't think there are any rental cars--only Jeeps and Hummers. You'll need a vehicle with 4x4 capability to get to Garden of the Gods and Shipwreck Beach, two of the most popular sights.

If you just want to stay in town, and you're staying at the Four Seasons, you can use their shuttle to get to Lana'i City. Walking around town is easy, it's one main strip with a large park in the middle, so a car isn't necessary. If you're staying somewhere else without a shuttle, I recommend getting a vehicle.

We rented from Mikey at Adventure Lana'i Ecocentre, http://www.adventurelanai.com. We flew in from Moloka'i and took the ferry from Lana'i to Maui. Mikey picked us up from the airport, and we dropped off the Jeep at the ferry. Mikey was great and my review of Adventure should be published on their page soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
6 posts
5. Re: Car Rentals

Cynthia, consider yourself lucky if you got a Jeep from adventure Lanai. These posts are filled with people standed by Mikey/kayak john/Jeff Johnson,or what ever name of the week he's using now. If you paid with a credit card i would advise monitoring your statements for the next several months.

Besides Dollar and Lanai cheep jeeps, there is lanaijeeprental.net and 808 hummer. Any of these would be more reliable and safer that ALE!!! Don't support the felon.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Car Rentals

I agree with Cincinnati, stay away from ALE, they are not reliable under current management.

1 post
1 review
7. Re: Car Rentals

We booked and took a day trip with Expeditions (the ferry people) and rented our car through them. It's actually a rental with the Dollar rental car, but you get your ferry tickets and everything in one package. Service was great, I had no issues at all, my wife and I really enjoyed ourselves on the day trip and plan on going back.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
155 reviews
8. Re: Car Rentals

Depending on where you are staying, you may only need it for a day. The Four Seasons has a shuttle that will take you to Lanai City, and The Lodge is currently closed. Try renting from LanaiJeepRental.net. We had a very good experience with them.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
160 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: Car Rentals

How much did you pay, Eric? We are interested in renting a 4x4 for a day. We will be in Maui next week. I'm interested in bundling the ferry tickets and the hummer or jeep into 1 rate. We've rented a hummer through 808 hummer in 2014. Had a great experience. Want to see if there are any any additional cheaper options? Paid a total of $200 for hummer and $120 round trip for ferry (2 people) in the past.

Also, does it matter if you rent a jeep vs hummer?

Edited: 22 November 2016, 18:51
Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
10. Re: Car Rentals

How was your Jeep rental experience from Lanai Cheap Jeeps? We are planning a trip for next July.

S. Hall

Reply to: Car Rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lanai City