We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
30 reviews
Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

Hello, anyone out there know the true extent of the renovations going on at the FS Manele Bay? I have booked 2 rooms for 4 nights at the end of July. We are celebrating my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary and our 10th. We chose to Lanai over the FS Maui property (where we honeymooned) because it is smaller and quieter. However, the reviews lately of the FS Manele Bay are very negative.

I contacted the property directly a couple of months ago about the work being done and was basically brushed aside and told the work being done is minimal. The reviews lately certainly do not read like only minimal renovations re being done. What in the world is really going on?!

76 replies to this topic
South Pole
Level Contributor
41,191 posts
4 reviews
71. Re: Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

I think you right to be nervous, because construction is never done on time, and five days isn't a good buffer. I don't say this to be a downer, but I would start doing what you can to minimize it. For example, we found out about construction at the complex we were staying on Maui, and made it clear that keeping it within work hours that affected our actual room was not good enough. We wanted our room away from it.

I would want to be far from the pool area, unless that means a room with no view. I realize the rooms closer to the ocean are mostly close to the pool. I would also consider spending time up at the Lodge, where it will be cool and should be quiet. Of course there is also the beach, and there are things to do on Lana'i that you might want to have all listed.

I wonder that they have not bent their rule and made the Lodge pool available for Manele guests during this time.

My experience with the Manele pool in summer vacation months was the kids took it over anyway. Not sure if that has changed. The Lodge pool was much quieter.

Construction moves slowly in Hawai'i. I would be calling them the day before and getting an update before getting on the plane. There's nothing quiet or peaceful about construction here. It's loud and obnoxious as anywhere else, and I think you would be happier if you have a game plan to avoid it than you will if you resign yourself to maybe listening to it. YMMV.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
112 reviews
72. Re: Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

Hello all - I just returned from the resort. I can't quite imagine that the construction is going to be finished by end August. They are working on one wing right now and the other wing, where I stayed, hasn't been touched. Now in late August maybe you'll be able to stay in the new wing, but I am doubtful the whole project will be complete by then.

I just noticed a new review from a poster that stayed in updated rooms during my visit. These look to be above the lobby/pool. While I was slightly annoyed this option wasn't given to me, my room was ocean front in the dolphin wing with an incredible view and completely away from the noise of construction. The room above the pool would hear it all day. So the newly upgraded room may be nice but you are right by all the noise.

We also had no construction over the weekend at all.

That being said the construction going on was minimal. If you are sitting at the pool it was very loud. Avoid the pool, stay on the beach, and you wouldn't even notice it was going on. They have done a good job of keeping it out of sight and mind throughout the resort.

And a bonus to the construction? Nobody was there. It was amazing. Felt like I had the place to myself.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
73. Re: Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

Bttf, it's not true there isn't a lot to do on the island. I've stayed up to a week on Lanai and my days are full. I rent a Hummer and drive to beaches and historical sites, do many hikes, golf, ride horses, take photographs, shoot sporting clays, kayak, snorkel, sail, swim, dive...I stay at Manele Bay and have never spent more than an hour at the pool...too much else to do.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
33 reviews
74. Re: Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

bttf, I second Shea's comments regarding all the activities on Lana`i. If you want more details, please check out this link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
30 reviews
75. Re: Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

I am glad to see that this thread is still going. We have just 23 days before our big trip begins and we arrive in Maui on July 15th after visiting Las Vegasand LA. I have been keeping up with the reviews of Manele Bay as we do hope to stay there one day. However, I am glad we switched properties now as Manele Bay is still going through its renovation. The new rooms are stunning, but not many guests seemed to have been offered these room. Furthermore the work around the pool just sounds annoying.

We are now staying at the Maui property where we actually honeymooned 10 years ago. I hope that our stay will be as fantastic as our first.

On a funny note, I received my most recent British Conde Nast Traveller. Every month a celebrity or famous person is asked about their favorite hotels and to choose one hotel to give the thumbs down. This month's celebrity was Hilary Swank. She gave the thumbs up to the FS Hualalai and gave a thumbs down to Manele Bay. She said she has stayed at Manele Bay a over the years with fond memories, but on her last visit checked out after one day! I am not a follower of celebrity endorsements, etc. but this did make me chuckle as I had wavered for so long if switching properties was necessary.

SoCal
Level Contributor
465 posts
41 reviews
76. Re: Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay

Article on the FS Lanai construction (and Ellison's general vision for the island) in today's New York Times travel section. Title is "An Islands-Within-an-Island Adventure" by Adam Nagourney.

Reply to: Very worried about our upcoming stay at FS Manele Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lanai City