We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

new jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

Spending a few days on Maui at the end of May and def plan on going to the CS. I see there is a package from Lost on Lanai for $85 per person which includes round-trip ferry tix and transport to/from Manele Harbor. It sounds enticing since it would be one-stop shopping but have no idea if it is a reasonable price or not. Trying to find out if it would be much less to book ferry and transport myself. On the other hand, it that is a hassle, maybe $85 is worth it? I also don't know how much time the package allows for time at the CS. Advice appreciated!

6 replies to this topic
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

Expeditions Ferry is $60 per person round trip and Rabaca's car service is $10 per person per ride. So your package is $5 more per person. Is there an admission charge to the sanctuary that's included or anything else?

Maui
Level Contributor
71,995 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

They're pretty new. I'd contact them and ask for the details.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,887 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

There is no charge to enter and walk around the sanctuary. They do take donations and sell T-shirts but you are under no obligation to do either, just spend time with the 500+ cats there.

If someone is putting this together and it only costs $5 more than do it yourself i would go with them.

Only thing is, if you wanted to add going into Lanai City itself (an additional $10 from Rabacas) or wanted to wander around the beach and 4 seasons a bit your canned tour may not allow it.

No matter what you decide, it is a wonderful place to visit.

Lanai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

Answers to Common Questions & Info on Lost on Lāna‘i's Package:

Q. How are transfers to the Cat Sanctuary done? Car to Van?

A. Transfers for the cat Sanctuary are done via a Lanai City Shuttle Van run by Rabaca's Limousine Service.

Q. Does a 9:15am departure from Lahaina with 4:30pm return give us enough time if we are just doing the Cat Sanctuary?

A. Yes & here is that itinerary with options

Just Cat Sanctuary

Depart Lahaina at 9:15am arrive Lanai approx. 10:00am - Transfer #1by Shuttle Van to Cat Sanctuary

Arrive Cat Sanctuary by 10:45am & Stay until closing at 3:00pm. 5 hours at the Cat Sanctuary

Tip: "super cat visitors" sometimes pack their own "snacks/lunch" and stay until closing time. NOTE: Food & Drinks are not sold at the Cat Sanctuary.

Shuttle Van Pick Up at 3:00pm short stop in Lanai City and then transfer back to Manele Harbor for your 4:30pm departure.

Options

Spend two hours at the Cat Sanctuary(10:45am-12:45pm) and then do an additional Transfer to Lanai City for Lunch and Shopping.

3:30pm Shuttle Van depart Lanai City & transfer back to Manele Harbor for your 4:30pm departure

Spend two hours at the Cat Sanctuary(10:45am-12:45pm) and then catch the 12:45pm Shuttle Van transfer. Make quick stop in Lanai City and then transfer down to Hulopoe Beach, arriving between 1:30-1:45pm.

Enjoy the beach until 4:00pm then walk back to the Harbor for your 4:30pm ferry departure. (Note: the beach is only 4/10ths of a mile and a short ten minute walk from the harbor.)

Q. What is the Lost on Lāna‘i difference?

A. We are a local Lāna‘i business. We make all of the arrangements including ferry tickets & notifying Lanai City Shuttle so they can better schedule their vehicles. We are a resource through out the day to make sure that you are neither lost nor left on Lāna‘i and the Cat Sanctuary is one of the charities that we support.

Info on Town:

Lāna‘i City is very compact and walkable. Some people have "seen it all" in an hour while others can "spend the day" ..... depends on individual tastes.

Time spent on Lunch usually averages 30-45 minutes.

*NOTE: Pele's is closed for lunch Sat & Sun and Cafe 565 is closed on Sun. Blue Ginger only accepts cash - no cc. Canoes is closed. No Ka Oi is off of the square at Houston & 9th and is open for lunch most weekdays as is the Poke shop (which sells out early – located on Gay Street) Coffee Works is located at Ilima & 6th and is open 7am-4pm.

Shopping:

Mike Carroll Gallery (A must for the chance to meet Kathy Carroll founder of the Cat Sanctuary.)

The Local Gentry - Great selection "local" clothing, etc.

Hula Hut - Souvenirs and gifts.

Museum:

https://www.lanaichc.org/ is another, imo, must see.

Great APP & Guide - Info on Lāna‘i:

https://www.lanaichc.org/lanai-guide.html

Maui
Level Contributor
71,995 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

Wow, what great, great info! Thanks so much for posting, LostonLana'i.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,887 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?

Mahalo for the informative post LostonLanai.

I was not aware of your service until this thread was posted.

Reply to: Package deal to Cat Sanctuary or go it alone?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lanai City