We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort do you recommend?

Arroyo Grande...
3 posts
Save Topic
Which resort do you recommend?

This will be our first stay in Kauai. We have no max budget for our stay but can only splurge on a few activities. We plan to stay in May and prefer a less crowded scene.

Which resort would you all recommend?

*Alii Kai Resort

*The Point at Poipu

*The Cliffs Club

Or do you recommend something else in Kauai?

We want to go all out and have clean linens, full kitchen and a large lanai with a full Ocean View. We want to be able to walk the sandy beaches in the evenings, palm trees, local food to enjoy, farmers markets, hiking, snorkeling and surfing.

Do you have any recommendations for:

Car rentals, restaurant, zodiac rentals

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
The Point at Poipu
The Point at Poipu
885 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

We recently stayed at The Cliffs, August 2015 and really liked it. They have recently remodeled so our rooms were freshly updated with beautiful finishes. We had a full galley kitchen with dishwasher, fully stocked with dishes, glasses pans etc. Full size fridge. , 2 lanais, 2 full bathrooms, and a huge master. The couch made out into another bed although we did not need it. There was a washer and dryer stack which was very convenient. Loads of towels, beach towels and 2 beach chairs and a cooler were provided. The Cliffs sits on the edge of a cliff in which some buildings have an ocean view. We got ours through RCI points so we were not in those. Our building was 2. We had a lovely view of a lush green garden and could easily walk a few hundred feet to the ocean view. We watched the sunset on the ocean each evening in the Adirondack chairs next to the ocean on the grounds. Red crested Cardinal parrots came and joined me every morning on the lanai for breakfast! Beach not accessible from there but many Beaches close by. Minutes away. We passed the Princeville Makai golf course everyday. DH is a golfer and loved that course. There is a beautiful running/walking path along the course. The Cliffs does not have AC. They have maid service halfway through your stay. They gave you new beach towels every day if needed. Beautiful lava rock pool with several waterfalls and 2 hot tubs. Pool a little on the small side but lovely. Was not crowded at all. Small workout room which didn't have much. I would definitely stay at The Cliffs again. We prefer Princeville and the North shore. We drove to Poipu and it was pretty but arrid and warmer. Poipu reminded me a little of Southern California. Also more crowded. We are from Arizona so we wanted a different climate than the one we already live in. We loved the green, jungle feel of the north shore, and Princeville.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,343 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

Are you exchanging a timeshare?

I thought that was pretty funny your requirement was to have clean linens! I hope everyone wants fresh linens. I would not be happy if I walked into a condo and they kept the same sheets on the bed from the last guest. LOL

If you are indeed exchanging, all three of these condos complexes will not guarantee you will get an ocean view unit. Many times exchangers get the non view units. I think the Cliffs lanais are small but overall its a nice complex. No beach access if that matters.

Arroyo Grande...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

Thank you so much! Yes we are exchanging. And the clean linens is just an obsession that I have. I worked in the travel business and have seen too many short cuts when it comes to the cleanliness of the bed, bathroom and carpet.

It sounds like the Cliffs is the place then. We may not continue with our timeshare plan so I really wanted to make this the best getaway that I can.

1. Are there any sushi places that you can recommend?

2. We also wanted to rent a Zodiac and fish or explore. Does anyone have experience with a local rental company?

Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
40,343 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

The best sushi place is Hanalei Dolphin about a 10 minute drive from Princeville in the town of Hanalei.

Take any boat trip out of Hanalei in May. I am not a fan of the zodiac companies. I prefer the smaller boats or the combo style with Holo Holo called rigid inflatable. Yes I think Cliffs is your best option.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Dolphin
Hanalei Dolphin
2,888 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Arroyo Grande...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

I have decided to stay on the North Shore. I really want luxury and The Cliffs sounds wonderful. How does it compare to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas?

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
The Westin Princeville...
2,145 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
10,077 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

Hanalei Dolphin is my son's favorite place tor sushi.

I don't believe you can rent a Zodiac, but I highly recommend a boat tour of the Na Pali with either https:/… or www.napalicatamaran.com I think you can arrange a private tour with NaPali Catamaran or take a look at what this company has to offer. www.kauaiexperience.com

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Dolphin
Hanalei Dolphin
2,888 Reviews
Kauai, HI
7. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 November 2015, 03:06
California
Level Contributor
40,343 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

I would not call The Cliffs a luxury accommodation. How does it compare it Westin? Completely different. Cliffs is a combo of a few different timeshare companies who own units and some private owners. I know quite a few people who own and live at The Cliffs. Westin is all timeshares. It is more of a resort feel with a front desk and restaurant. Westin is relatively new while Cliffs is an 80 built complex.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

Agree if you want luxury that unit at HBR that 22Kauai linked is fabulous! The Cliffs was available to us through RCI points and was very nice. It did not have AC so if that is important beware. Our building 2 was just remodeled and had brand new everything. Granite counters, spa like bathrooms and everything was new. Very tastefully decorated. Not 80s at all. The units there have a condo feel not a resort. We got to use our RCI points and were very happy with the value and the ammenities. But, If I had unlimited amounts of money I would stay at That HBR unit!

10. Re: Which resort do you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kapaa
Recent Conversations