We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
911 posts
205 reviews
Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

Hi, it is our first time to Kauai and we are bringing my Mom! (She is an active senior) I have found 2 wonderful. 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condos at Waipouli Resort but have no idea if this is a good part of the Island or not, however I like there is a Starbucks & a Safeway close by! Any suggestions or comments! We will likely be doing lots of touring the island but also enjoy swimming in the pool, shopping, eating out & as well I will be cooking up a storm some nights in the condo 😀the resort looks great.

Island Hemp & Cotton
Gift & Speciality Shops
Marta's Boat
Gift & Speciality Shops
LightWave Pottery
Paint & Pottery Studios
Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
911 posts
205 reviews
1. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

H104 & C304 are the units I am looking at! H104 is ground level and close to the pool..they both look lovely! But just wondering if I should be looking at another part of the Island!

California
Level Contributor
41,609 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

If you think being across from a Safeway is important, you will love it. Actually the units and pool is very nice, just not the ocean.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
911 posts
205 reviews
3. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

Well I like to cook so it will be handy! How bad is the ocean, obviously not for swimming? I am also checking Poipu but so far have not found anything I like, do u have any recommendations?

California
Level Contributor
41,609 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

My opinion is if you want to be in the center a very busy area, WBR is the place to be. There are not many new resorts on Kauai. Koloa Landing in Poipu and WBR (and maybe The Westin Princeville) is about it.

You really should not go in the water there. The currents are strong and the waves just too big to enjoy it. You can sit on the beach but if you want to go in the water, almost the entire eastside isn't great. You will always be in the car driving someplace else. Kauai Calls has nice rentals at WBR.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

While the ocean there is not too great for actual swimming it looks like a beautiful Corona commercial, and was almost like a private beach when we were there. I LOVED sitting almost alone most of the time. If you like to cook the kitchens are pretty amazing too. There are several stores and restaurants close by, and parts of the town have sort of a colonial feel. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Google Unit E105, ground floor, not facing the pool and on a greenbelt. It is also a short walk from where you park. being close to the pool may be a mixed bag if anybody likes a nap during the day. The on site restaurant is also arguably the best in town, but not cheap. Great for a happy hour drink though.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
227 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

We stayed one week at the Waipouli Resort last year and enjoyed it. The unit we had was really nice. That area is convenient if you plan on doing a lot of sightseeing and don't want to split your stay north/south. It puts you kind of in the middle so to speak. It's also convenient to grocery shopping and restaurants. However, it's also inconvenient in that you pretty much have to drive somewhere every day unless you plan on hanging at the pool. The beach there is pretty to look at and you will find it pretty much empty at all times, so if you just want to lounge on the beach it's fine for that. Not great for swimming though. Rocky and rough most always, (though I did see a couple of people snorkeling there, don't know that I'd do it myself). All in all I liked the location ok and wouldn't mind staying there again if the price were right, but for a return trip I don't think it would be my first pick.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
118 reviews
7. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

I like the area because of it's central location and good restaurants nearby. We love a god ocean view, and don't care that much about swimming right there.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
911 posts
205 reviews
8. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

Well Mom & my husband don't like swimming in the ocean so that is not an issue, we can check out other beaches at our leisure & I can take a dip! I booked it non the less! Hope I made the right choice but it ticked most of our boxes! If Mom wasn't coming along I mighta choose something a little differnt but this will be perfect for her and we have never ever gone on a vacation with anyone after 30 years of travelling so should be interesting but plan on showing Mom a great time and cook up some great meals in that gourmet kitchen 😀😀

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

We stayed at Waipouli and loved it. It is central to everything on the island. The pool is great and the beach is nice to walk on and sit by. Most ground unit lanais seemed to be provide some privacy with trees and bushes. I would never stay in an outside ground unit though - only on the inside. We found having Safeway and a few others stores across the street a convenience. What we were disappointed in was the fact that the upper units have Juliet balconies off the living room. There is only enough room to stand on them. We had a one bedroom unit and it did have a little bigger lanai off the master bedroom.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Is Waipouli Resort/Kapaa A Good Area?

The kitchens are very nice and the bathroom is huge. You will love it.

Get answers to your questions about Kapaa
Recent Conversations