We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Boar Hunting

Poulsbo, Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Wild Boar Hunting

We are going to Kauai July 24-Aug. 1, 2015. My husband is an experienced hunter in the US. He really wants to go on a Wild Boar hunt while on Kauai. Please suggest a guide or tour. Is a hunting license needed? Any other suggestions about hunting would be most appreciated! Thank you.

Dreamer73

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Wailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
336 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

Not an expert in this area, but here is what I've found.

www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/hawaii/

$95.00 for a license for non-resident

Not sure what your budget is, but check this out.... Niihau is an exclusive island just off the west side of Kauai.

http://www.niihau.us/safaris.html

$1750.00 includes air fare, guide, etc..

I have also left messages with a couple of friends of mine who hunt pig here, and I will update if I hear anything else.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

It's good to note that the Niihau costs go to support the island helicopter used for emergency transportation of the Niihau residents. So part of the that $1750 goes to support the people of Niihau

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,388 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

Does your husband know that some of these folks use bow and arrow and/or spears? Also these "pigs" can be dangerous.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,455 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

>>>Does your husband know that some of these folks use bow and arrow and/or spears?<<<

And dogs and a knife.

Edited: 16 June 2015, 18:35
California
Level Contributor
40,406 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

This is a real "local" activity and many don't do it just for sport. Its their livihood.I think there are other wonderful adventures people should enjoy and leave this up to the locals who know what they are doing. Now if you happen to befriend a local who knows where to go, has dogs, is experienced in hunting, great, but otherwise take a helicopter ride.

Wailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
336 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

Dreamer,

Don't know if your hubby would be interested, but you might want to mention this to him... Wild Goat apps for rifle & muzzle load are due by this Friday.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/rifle-muzzlel…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

"This is a real "local" activity and many don't do it just for sport. Its their livihood.I think there are other wonderful adventures people should enjoy and leave this up to the locals who know what they are doing. Now if you happen to befriend a local who knows where to go, has dogs, is experienced in hunting, great, but otherwise take a helicopter ride."

I Absolutely agree with this. The locals hunt with dogs/Knives or Bow as a way of life. This is their livelihood it is not for sport. Good advise about taking a helicopter ride.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,455 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

The pigs and goats are a huge nuisance, besides the fact, they destroy the land. I don't think the hunters do this so much for their livelihood, but for the freezer (or imu) and the good of the land.

Edited: 17 June 2015, 00:54
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

The locals I have talked to do it for sport and you can hunt them in different ways. The couple hunters that I talked to loved talking about it and asked if I wanted to go with them. I'm sure not everyone is like that though. Hunters are like fishermen with their special spots, they are very protective of them. If he's familiar with hog hunting he'll be fine.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
705 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wild Boar Hunting

www.hookyouupoutfitters.com/hunting.htm

Try this site for starters. I know there are outfitters on Lanai, Maui, and Big Island. Not sure about Kauai. I am sure any guided hunt will be substantially more expensive than a helicopter tour though. Wild pigs devastate the environment on all islands and the mainland as well. Good luck.

Edited: 17 June 2015, 01:29
Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Get answers to your questions about Kapaa