We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car break ins?

Orange, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
Car break ins?

What about of car break-ins? When we travel out of the country it is usually recomended to not leave any valuables (duh) and to leave the car unlocked, window down.....to deter break ins.

Any such problems in kauai?

Cory

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Car break ins?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you do a "search" on this subject you will find lots of threads dealing with this issue

While this is a wonderful place and called "paradise" by many - we have some of the same problems everyplace visitor oriented locations have - meaning that if you leave valuables in your car and visible - you are asking for trouble.

Some people indeed do leave their doors unlocked and windows down (which I wouldn't recommend if just for the simple fact that we get lots of passing showers, and you'll have a wet seat when you get back) - but I think it is best just to take any valuables with you and leave nothing out and especially nothing visible in your car.

This is particularly important when you park at an overlook or area where you have to walk away from your car to view the sights and which is somewhat isolated.

Use common sense - the same crimes of opportunity are practiced here as they are anywhere in the world where there are lots of visitors.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
41,636 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Car break ins?

Yes there a those problems and as anywhere else take caution. I wouldn't leave the window rolled down (rain) but do not leave one thing exposed.

Kipu Falls is a target area as well as parts of Ke'e.

I was just on Maui and we parked next to a car and noticed the window was broken. We moved on....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Car break ins?

Take normal precautions as you would do anywhere on the planet.

Do not leave anything, and I mean anything laying visible in the car.

Most areas that you park, if you follow that rule you will be just fine due to foot traffic.

However, at trail heads, waterfalls, and more remote areas, breakins due occur, but it is common sense not to leave duffel bags, wallets, cameras etc, sitting on the seat or floor.

Glass on the ground means that someone had their window smashed, and the unfortunate visitor, swept the broken glass out of the car, and on to the ground. Pretty evident that skulduggery has been afoot.

Honestly, there are places that are favorites of thieves....and broken glass in several different piles, and we see a new visitor car parked right there with all kinds of personal possession in plain sight.

Amazing , but true !

When hiking or going to the beach, I leave my wallet secured at home, or my accomodations if traveling. Actually, we do not leave our valuables out on counters, tables, etc, when we are at home here.

When off enjoying the island, I have my D/L, ins. card, door key card to our condo, some cash or my debit card in a waterprood baggie on my person.

We have great huge beach bags from australia, but we do not use them for the beach, as they are easily picked up by a strolling thief, and everything that you have is now gone.

Bad feeling....no car key, no hotel key, no cell phone, no wallet, no money, no credit card, no identification, and the list goes on. Prescription glasses, sometimes medicines, and maybe itineraries for airlines and other travel ocuments are history.

We have never had any problem in 17 years, and just follow what we suggest to others. Seems to work pretty well.

Do not leave slider ground floor doors open, and as some have reported, they left purses, cameras , etc. sitting out on the dining room table totally visible, with all of their personal items. Flat gone !

So, stay a wee bit ahead of the power curve, and all will be just fine.

Denny

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
53,011 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Car break ins?

I always find it rather amazing that some people suggest leaving the windows down and the car unlocked. Beyond me why anyone would do that!! Yeah, yeah, I know, no broken window. What most people don't realize is that the insurance will cover you if your window is rolled up and the car locked. Think they would do that if it's down and unlocked? Don't think so. Best thing said here is to not leave anything you value in the car and use common sense!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,860 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Car break ins?

We've never had a single issue with this while on Kauai. We use the same common sense as we do in So. Cal. Nothing left out, windows rolled up and car locked. I cannot tell you how many times we left our convertible top down (in our earlier visits) and left the car for only a moment and came back to a soaking, wet car. So please, roll up the windows. You never know when a passing shower will pass through. We did see a lot of break-ins at Kipu Falls a few summer ago. We decided not to leave the car unattended and only spent a minute there (another subject for another thread).

Edited: 05 November 2010, 00:25
Orange, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
6. Re: Car break ins?

yes it would be covered, unlocked or not!....

glad your amused

Edited: 05 November 2010, 04:03
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Car break ins?

Cory

You are saying that your items would be covered it you left them in the car, with the doors unlocked and windows open.

We are saying that to save you a major hassel, regardless of insurance coverage, not to leave any items visible.

So, do as you wish, and what makes you feel good.....

We always lock our car, but when Erica had her miata.....she had three tops sliced, trunk items stolen, and the car stolen out of my gated community near disneyland.

The first time, in her trunk, because of her hobbies, sailing gear, cameras, and flying gear ( private pilot ) was stolen. Well, so was the car, which was found in hemet with flat tire, and dead animal parts.

Yep , the insurance took care of everything, all three times.....but after the frist time we always installed THE CLUB. Even then, when she was at my place later days, in Huntington Harbor, they just opened the unlocked door, and tried to steal the car. The Club prevented that, but the thieves bent the steering column. And it had to be replaced.

The recommendations here, are meant to help you out......hopefully some of them did....

Denny

California
Level Contributor
41,636 posts
130 reviews
8. Re: Car break ins?

Denny,

That is not what the OP said. She said NOT leave valuables in the car but leave the windows rolled down so they don't break the window. We are saying don't leave the windows rolled down plus of course nothing visable.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
147 reviews
9. Re: Car break ins?

One thing you want to keep in mind...Don't think that when you get somewhere you can just drop things in the trunk so they are out of sight. First, the trunk is very vulnerable and second, thieves often hang around and watch for people doing just that. So if you think you want to take a chance and leave something in the trunk (sweater, towel, etc) do it before you go to your destination.

BTW....close the windows else a Kauai chicken might decide it's a good place to roost!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Car break ins?

Probably should have added, after the first time of the stolen car and Erica's gear stolen, that ended keeping anything valuable in the trunk from then on to the present.

However, again 17 years as visitors/residents narry a problem on kauai island.

May that long years of no thefts continue.

Cracks me up, I can just imagine returning to the car to discover several moa and roosters and chicks etc, have gathered and enjoying a happy time in their new ford convertable chicken coop.

Love to see a photo of that.....might make a new style island post card.

Denny

Get answers to your questions about Kapaa
Recent Conversations