We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding

Colorado
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Flooding

Oh man, I’m so sorry Kauai is experiencing this terrible flooding! I hope everyone is okay. We will be in Kapaa on Sunday, how is it doing throughout this weather mess? Is the south end still a place to go to get away from the destruction? Any guess when you can access Hanalei again? Any snd all info

Helpful. Thanks

27 replies to this topic
10 posts
1. Re: Flooding

I'm with you. We just missed the flood. We're here for our honeymoon in the 17th and initially planned going north shore. Well since it's flooding there now, we don't know where else to visit.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
827 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Flooding

Our prayers are with all the residents affected by this disaster.

We arrive on the 27th and will be there for three weeks in Princeville. Naturally we hope for a good vacation, but the welfare and safety of the people who live here is foremost on our thoughts.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
3. Re: Flooding

Review the news media accounts and the "historic flooding" long thread on Kauai forum.

Rochester, New York
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Flooding

Blessings of safety to Kaua'i.

Thank you for starting this thread. We are planning on arriving on the North Shore on the 30th. Updates from the perspective of a visitor are greatly appreciated. Likewise, if & when we arrive we will do the same.

Namaste

Colorado
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Flooding

There is a ton of information on the “Kauai” board, check there. Also Hawaii News Now online. I have a relative there who assured me towards the south is much better than the north, but it is still rainy. My biggest disappointment is not being able to snorkel. Have word the muddy water rim around the island will take weeks to clear. Many blessings to the people there, north shore has done challenges for sure. Safe travels

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,986 posts
1 review
6. Re: Flooding

fosterfarm, you're fine swimming and probably snorkeling at Poipu Beach. I have friends there right now and they're reporting the water is not brown there. Brown water begins further west by where the Waikomo stream feeds into the ocean. This is at Koloa Landing bay. The super muddy water on the south shore is in Waimea where the Waimea River feeds in. That is about 30 minutes west of Poipu and the water currents are westward. You should have nothing to worry about other than this nonstop rain. Hopefully you'll see some breaks.

Colorado
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Flooding

Thanks you! All info is appreciated.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Flooding

Start reading all,the other threads. I live in Kapaa and we have no problems. Went down south to Spouting Horn in Poipu and all roads were open. I did see brown water down there though. If this is the case stay out of the water.

California
Level Contributor
41,433 posts
130 reviews
9. Re: Flooding

The brown water warnings will be in effect for awhile. That was a lot of water to come down those rivers and its still coming down. Usually we say stay out of the water for 3 days, but after this much rain, I think it could be a week.

1 post
10. Re: Flooding

Kauai always bounces back. Look at Hurricane Iniki, which left the island almost bare. Paradise was gone, then came back green and beautiful ... give it some time. I lived there as well as my whole family...no place on EARTH is a beautiful as Kauai. It still calls to my soul.

Reply to: Flooding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kapaa
Recent Conversations