We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pono Kai October 2017

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Pono Kai October 2017

Looking at staying in Kapaa in late October, thinking Pono Kai would be a good mid town location, 1bdrm, 2 adults, need kitchen w/d, a/c, 5 nights. Been to Kauai many times usually to north shore, has anyone been to Pono Kai or suggestions for other accommodations? Want to be walkable to restaurants & shops as much as possible. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
824 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Wailua River Kayak and Hike Adventure
95 Reviews
from US$88.59*
Free Cancellation
Hanalei Bay Kayak and Snorkel Tour
21 Reviews
from US$98.99*
Free Cancellation
Na Pali Coast -  Summer Sea Kayaking...
1 Review
from US$252.00*
Free Cancellation
20 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
40,414 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

Don't rent a ground floor unit. Thats my advice at Pono Kai for safety issues. Does it have a/c? It is a good location for an older property within walking distance of town.

Mentioned in this post
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
824 Reviews
Kauai, HI
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,473 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

Being able to walk to Ono Family Restaurant is a big plus. I'm pretty sure most units do not have A/C, so if you find one that does, double check as to exactly what it is and where. Those movable units aren't a/c to me.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

Wow, had no idea there were safety issues w ground floor units there so thx so much jebett & also on the a/c matter. Any other condo recommendations that would be convenient, like to walk, on beach if possible

California
Level Contributor
40,414 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

This is what happened recently.

Mother and son staying on a ground floor unit. Son goes outside and doesn't close and lock slider all the way. Goes inside, goes to sleep with mother, someone opens slider while they are sleeping and robs them blind. Not the first time for this resort. Its near a beach and place lots of people can walk by.

Just remember this location is nice for being on the beach but no swimming. Its way too rough and last year or the year before someone died right there trying to swim. I would check out Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu for late Oct. Great beach and google Great Vacation Retreats for reasonably priced units.

Mentioned in this post
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,857 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

Thanks for the big heads up, may have to ck out other areas

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,473 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

A ground floor unit, regardless of where on the island, can be risky - especially if there is no A/C. Under Top Questions to the right of Kaua‘i forum page (you are on a sub-forum page), is a thread with a list of condos that have A/C. I'll link it for you:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218…

I wouldn't disregard Pono Kai if you like the location, just take a unit on a higher floor and double check the A/C situation.

Mentioned in this post
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
824 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,414 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

Yes if you want to have good walkability to shops and restaurants (go to Hula Girl) then choose an upper floor. Their location is good within Kapaa (though traffic backs up right there). The first weekend of Nov (and every first weekend) is Kapaa Art Night which is a super fun night on the highway in front of Pono Kai. Music, food, crafts and a nice evening all around.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
824 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hermiston, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

We stayed at Pono Kai November 2015'ish.

Initially we were on the ground floor in one of the front buildings with a view of the koi pond out our slider. However the air conditioner was leaking puddles of water on the floor. The management graciously moved us to another building-upper floor with a gorgeous view of the ocean.

The grounds are pretty, pool is nice and the staff was friendly and helpful. We liked that everything was walkable. Very close to Ono and other nice restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
824 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
202 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

In September of 2016 I stayed in a condo across the road from Pono Kai. It's a great location for walking to lots of shops and restaurants. The coastal path runs right in front of it for great morning walks or bicycle riding. Beautiful!

Mentioned in this post
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
824 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Limerick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pono Kai October 2017

Have stayed at Pono Kai for a week a few years ago as added time after we were at our timeshare in Poipu. It was an exchange from a week I own on Maui, and it was a nice unit. I, too, recommend a higher floor. We had a 3rd floor ocean front unit, so lucked out. I do like that each building has elevators. We had a wall A/C unit in the living room, just a ceiling fan in bedroom....but it was a cooler week and we never needed the A/C. I never felt unsafe there. Yes, beach not swimmable, but fine for sitting or walking. I do like that the location is near many of the cute shops and restaurants. Traffic can be backed up at times, but that is Kapaa after all.

Mentioned in this post
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
824 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa