We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring travel thru the Bighorns

Hanover...
Level Contributor
174 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Spring travel thru the Bighorns

Is it feasible to expect to travel through the Bighorns on Rt 14 and Rt 16 in mid-May? We would be doing a loop starting and ending in Buffalo. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
Wyoming
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

You should be ok on 14 and 16. 14A, however, might still be closed.

Hanover...
Level Contributor
174 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

We have revised our plans slightly for this area.

Day one - Leaving from Buffalo and doing Rt 16 to Worland and then up to Greybull. Then we will go as far as Shell Falls and Canyon and come back to Greybull for the night.

Day two - Thinking of going north on 789 to Lovell area. The main attraction here would be to see the Wild Mustangs. It looks like Rt 14 loops back to Greybull if that is not too much to do in one day(and if it is open)... OR we could spend more time in Lovell looking for the wild horses and return South on Rt 789.

How bad is 14A? I read an old post that this road is pretty scary. We will be driving a Rav4 and like to make a lot of stops for photos...we are slow travelers. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
Wyoming
Shell Falls
Shell Falls
191 Reviews
Sheridan, WY
Hanover...
Level Contributor
174 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

Forgot to say that on day two, we have 3-4 hours of driving heading south to Lander, WY after we leave the Greybull area.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

>Day one - Leaving from Buffalo and doing Rt 16 to Worland and then up to Greybull.

If you want to take a shorter route to Greybull and skip Worland, you can go north out of Ten Sleep on the road that runs along the west side of Norwood Creek and intersects route 31, which will then take you into Manderson. This all good road and scenic - and shorter than going into Worland. Ask for directions at the general store on the north side of the road in Ten Sleep.

>How bad is 14A? I read an old post that this road is pretty scary.

It's pretty steep driving up the west side of the Big Horns on 14A (but easier to drive up, rather than down). If you have any experience in mountain driving, you should be ok (I've done it in a truck pulling a horse trailer). There are numerous pull offs where you can stop and get terrific views looking west across the Big Horn Basin; on a clear day, the mountains in the distance, past Cody, are the Absarokas in Yellowstone.

>day two, we have 3-4 hours of driving heading south to Lander, WY after we leave the Greybull area.

Hard to say if you have enough time without knowing how long you're going to spend looking for mustangs. But it it weren't for that, you'd have enough time to reach Lander by sunset.

>time in Lovell looking for the wild horses

Go about 2 miles east from Lovell on 14A and turn left onto 37, then around 15 miles to Devils Canyon Overlook. Or if you have 4WD, instead go 13 miles on 37 to a road marked with a sign that says “Tillets Fish-Rearing Station.” Take that road to the Bad Pass Highway to try to view the horses. Of just get directions in Lovell. Mustangs running in the wild don't look much different than quarter horses running in a pasture, so I never quite understood what all the fuss is about, but I hope you have a good time. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 23:56
Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
Wyoming
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Hanover...
Level Contributor
174 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

Thanks for all the details, TetonBill. I will print it for reference.

After Lander, we are headed to Jackson...can't wait to see it all!!

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

I'd be real interested to know how you liked that route, so post a report when you're home, if you don't mind. Hope you have a good stay in Wyoming.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Hanover...
Level Contributor
174 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

Does anyone know how to get to Porcupine Falls from Route 14A? There seem to be a lot of Forest roads that intersect once you turn off of 14A. What would be the easiest way?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

Here's directions:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nfAmK8_xsX4C&pg=PA210&lpg=PA210&dq=porcupine+falls+14a+wyoming&source=bl&ots=ZwJZFB6of_&sig=tQmxwcyqfol3_WeppQrUGGG8nEw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JwDkUtTxJoqlkQfjkYGACA&ved=0CFsQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=porcupine%20falls%2014a%20wyoming&f=false

Yes, there are a lot of forest service roads in that area, but you should be ok because it's well signed (or was when I was up that way last fall, when we took horses way up nearby FS13). Those roads get worse as you get closer to the trailhead, so be careful of your axles and undercarriage. Also, a car rental agreement may prohibit driving on unpaved roads. But once you reach the trailhead, the falls is a short hike.

That part of the Big Horns won't melt out until well into July, so turn around if you start getting into serious snow or mud/snowmelt.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 18:39
Hanover...
Level Contributor
174 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

Thanks Bill. Yes, I see that it recommends July to September hiking. I guess it is unlikely that we will get to do this. But we might take a look if it seems like a nice dry day.

I am really hoping that Rt 14A will be open when we are there. We can be content with the driving and photos and save the hiking for when we get to the Tetons in June.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring travel thru the Bighorns

When in June will you be in the Big Horns?

Edited: 25 January 2014, 19:05
Get answers to your questions about Sheridan