We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Horn Forest, which road?

Manistee, Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Big Horn Forest, which road?

This August I will be driving cross country from Michigan to Washington and then North to Alaska. Along the way I will be crossing through Wyoming on my way to Glacier NP in Montana. Big Horn NF caught my eye as a scenic drive destination, instead of the boring interstate.

The map program shows two routes through Big Horn, either US Route 14 or US Route 16. I'm leaning towards driving 14 so I can stop off at Shell Canyon and Falls, however if 16 offers something more impressive I'd hate to miss that.

I've tried driving these routes on Google Streetview, and both of them don't look anything like the tourism photos I'm finding on the Internet for the forest. I would have thought Cloud Peak at 13000+ ft would be at least a little visible from the road, but it seems not.

I would like some feedback on to which route would be more scenic for a drive. I'll have a few hours to go down interesting side-roads (or stop at pull-offs) but won't be spending a huge amount of time in the park.

Thanks a bunch!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Horn Forest, which road?

I'd say 14 or 14A are your best bets for scenery and for your intended route to Washington.

Lusk, WY
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Horn Forest, which road?

I agree with Bill. 14 will have the best scenery although both highways are grand. Enjoy Wyoming.

3. Re: Big Horn Forest, which road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Sheridan