We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

We are visiting Wyoming in a couple of weeks. I had planned a night in Cody and then the next day drive to the Big Horn National Recreational Area and spend part of the day exploring the area. Then that night I had planned to stay either in Buffalo or Sheridan. The following day we want to visit Little Bighorn Battlefield, so thought that Sheridan would cut down the driving time. But it is our 30th anniversary so would like to stay somewhere special and was looking at the Occidental Hotel (we just both read the Virginian!). Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the nicer place to stay and are the drives doable. Or are there anywhere nice places before Sheridan on Hwy 14 that would make for a special stopover. Thanks

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
619 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

What kind of lodging are you thinking? Cabins, hotel? Own bath, shared bath? Rustic, modern? :) Lots of questions I know.....

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

I have been looking at hotels, b & b's, lodges. Definitely clean, quiet and with our own bathroom. Thanks.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
619 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

My mom found a lodge with cabins in Buffalo for some friends and they loved it. I will find out what the name is and let you know. Otherwise, I haven't stayed anywhere around there so that's all I can help with.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,849 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

The Occidental is a great choice. We've stayed there several times and always enjoyed our stay. All their rooms are different, so take your time in choosing. The saloon area has a lot of history (as does the hotel), including bullet holes in the bar and ceiling. There's a good band - check the dates they play. The hotel is in the heart of Buffalo's little downtown area, quite small but definitely western, with a couple of old saloons. (Every Wyoming town, regardless of size, has at least 2 saloons.) The hotel restaurant is good, inside an old bank. Ask to be seated inside the vault or there's a nice semi-private window table for 2.

There's nothing I know of in Sheridan that compares to the Occidental.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
619 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

http://www.mountainviewbuffalo.com/

Feedback from them was quirky, but clean and less expensive than other hotels

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

Thanks for all your suggestions. We may try one night in Sheridan, go up to the Battlefield and come back to Buffalo on our way to Mt. Rushmore.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

We stayed at the Hampton Suites in Buffalo. It was super. The rooms were suites and the bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The staff were lovely and the breakfast very good.

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

Thanks. We will keep that one in mind.

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

while in Cody stay at Cowboy Village, you'll love it.

10. Re: Buffalo, Sheridan or ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Sheridan