We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Park

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone Park

I have 3 days to get from Whitefish, Mt to Mt Rushmore. Would like to swing down through Yellowstone. What is the best use of my time going through Park?

Level Contributor
3,522 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Park

Instead of posting in the Sheridan forum, you will get alot more responses if you repost in the Yellowstone forum.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone Park

If you take the shortest route through Yellowstone, it will be over 900 miles from Whitefish to Mt. Rushmore so most of your time in Yellowstone with its slow speeds will have to be spent in the seat of your car. It's really not a park for just a drive through. If you insist on this, you'll want to enter the park at West Yellowstone and turn toward Old Faithful at Madison Junction. At Grant, turn left and head toward the east entrance and Cody, WY.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,892 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Park

I agree with RM-MN. It is a long day's drive just from Whitefish to West Yellowstone. Get a good night's sleep and eat a hardy breakfast at the Running Bear Pancake House in West Yellowstone and get an early start. Through the west entrance you will find bald eagles and lots of bison. Make your way to Old Faithful and possibly eat lunch at either the Cafeteria or the Old Faithful Lodge dining room. Then at Grant Village turn north and go out the east entrance toward Cody. Spend the night in Cody and possibly take in the rodeo or walk around town and see the shootout at the Irma Hotel. Then the next morning it will be a full day's drive to Mt. Rushmore.

We have done that route in reverse- starting in Mt. Rushmore and heading to Yellowstone.

I am assuming you will be coming in the summer and you will have lots of daylight at that time.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone Park

How would we get from Toronto by airplane , view the park and then carry on to Seattle - by plane or by bus?

Is there a bus that takes one throught the park?

What is the best town to fly tooo from Toronto?

We would prefer not to drive ourselves as we are in our 70's.

Michael, Capetown

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,629 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone Park

Michael, it would be better if you started a new thread with your question.

Yellowstone is a difficult park to see without a car. There is not really a bus thru the park, altho last year they started a small van service. You would probably be better served if you took some of the guided tours provided by Xanterra which is the lodging concessionaire. www.xanterra.com

You could fly in to Bozeman MT, take the Karst Stage from the airport to Mammoth Hot Springs, stay at the hotel then do the Xanterra tours from there.

I have no idea what the flight situation would be from Toronto in to Bozeman. Bus from Bozeman to Seattle sounds dreadful to me, but I am sure there are flights. My off the wall guess is the flights would be to a regional hub (Salt Lake City or Denver) then on to Seattle.

The biggest question would be, when do you plan to travel?

6. Re: Yellowstone Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Sheridan
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question