We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concordia Neighborhood

San Diego Surfer...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Concordia Neighborhood

What can you tell me about Concordia Neighborhood in Milwaukee? We are thinking of purchasing a home there. Thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concordia Neighborhood

According to the Concordia Neighborhood website (http://www.hcni.org/), the boundaries are 27th-35th Streets east-west, and Wisconsin-Highland Aves north-south. Within those actual boundaries, most of the homes are old mansions. Highland Ave is a beautiful tree-lined boulevard, and I think there are a few historic bed and breakfasts in there, too. It looks as if the neighborhood association is working to update and remodel many of the homes in the area.

However, mixed within those mansions, as well as pretty much the surrounding neighborhood, it's very urban and fairly poor in terms of economic standing. It's for sure not the poorest area of the city, but there are a number of low-income housing complexes in the area. I'm just being honest (I know this area after working as an EMT in the city).

Perhaps doing some research through the neighborhood association will help you get some more information.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concordia Neighborhood

I agree with tuba. There are some very nice old mansions in Concordia and at least one has been converted to a B & B, but there is a lot of low income housing in the area.

It is only a mile or so west of downtown, so it is convenient to get downtown, but there is not a lot of shopping including grocery stores in the immediate area. There are the small corner convenience stores that are typical of inner city areas, but other than that not much.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concordia Neighborhood

It is part of the inner city and has the problems typical of any inner city neighborhood.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concordia Neighborhood

Absmry is right, the area was once nice, like in 1920, but now is just part of the ghetto. I would not feel comfortable taking a late night walk there. Stick to Greenfield or the downtown/east side.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concordia Neighborhood

In its day, a beautiful neighborhood. Very convenient location to downtown and the freeways. Unfortunately, it is one of those places where the mansions and larger homes became rooming houses during hard times then many were torn down in the 50s and 60s and replaced with crappy apartment buildings like the one Jeff Dahmer used to live in, which has since been torn down.

Today, it's a great place to buy a beautiful old home for fairly cheap, and there are some committed preservationist types who have done just that, but I wouldn't walk around at night and would use caution even during the day. Lots of petty crime and not too far from some of the worst neighborhoods in the city. I see you are also asking about Hartford....wow...they are polar opposites!!

6. Re: Concordia Neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Milwaukee