We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for dinner

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go for dinner

We are having a family get together at the Timber Ridge Resort. Our group will consist of 14-16 people (grandparents, parents, kids) including 2 kids plus 2 infants. Right now I am trying to figure out 2 places that would be good dinner spots and not too far from Timber Ridge. Also I would definitely like to be able to make reservations. If there are really high end places, I don't think that would be the best for this occasion, but we don't want fast food either--somewhere in between but with tasty food.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
521 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for dinner

Timber Ridge is on the grounds of Grand Geneva Resort, which is about a mile outside of downtown Lake Geneva. Smokey's BBQ is on the grounds and is family friendly. Ristorante Brissago and The ChopHouse at the Grand Geneva are very good, but high end.

Suggestions:

Gino's East on Wrigley Drive in downtown Lake Geneva. It has lake views, takes reservations and has sandwiches and entrees other than pizza.

Hemingway's Port of Call, which is north on County H. County H, 12 and 120 all come together just past the entrance to Grand Geneva. You would just head north on H for about a mile. .Lots of parking, reservations, a Jimmy Buffet-type atmosphere, a tikki bar, sand volley ball, sometimes live music. Very laid back and I think kids would be ok there for an early dinner.

The Waterfront Pub & Eatery, 408 Rt. 50 Delavan, which is about a 15-minute drive west of Lake Geneva on Hwy. 50. Family friendly, great food, takes reservations and a little more laid back than some restaurants in Lake Geneva. (as a point of reference, it is across the street, but in the same area as Lake Lawn resort0.

www.lakegenevawi.com

would also list area restaurants.

Hope this helps.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for dinner

thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them. The only trouble with Smokeys is that it does not take reservations. I called them and they said we could call ahead but if someone came in ahead of us they would get the table. With the numbers we have I didn't think that sounded too great. I wonder if it is crowded there the end of September which is when we are going.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
521 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for dinner

By the end of September, there will be fewer crowds. I only suggested Smokey's BBQ because it was onsite, where you were staying, you didn't have too drive far or worry about parking. In my opinion, you may want to look into my other suggestions...they are all good; I have taken kids to all of them. In summer, just trying to drive down Main Street through downtown LG can take anywhere from 30-40 minutes. But in late September that should change from summer. Did you look into the East Troy trolley, or the fishing without a license at Palmyra Rushing Waters, where the fish actually jump out of the water. I also think that BJ Wentkers in Burlingtion (15 min north on 120 from LG), which is in an old tavern with wonderful food might give you a reservation if you went early with kids. It has been around for a long time and my own kids went, ate, and loved it when they were little. They still love it and are now in college.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for dinner

yes--the attraction of Smokey's is that it's there!

Thanks for your other good ideas---I've found the websites and bookmarked them. :-)

5. Re: Where to go for dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 15:18