We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time DC in oct

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
First time DC in oct

Have read a whole lot of posts & realized that going to DC during the Fall festivals will be very expensive & crowded. Would like to avoid that, but also want to enjoy the colors. Can anyone suggest a better time to go in October? We will be traveling with 3 yr old & 5 yr old. We are looking for a relaxing 2-3 days in DC. Budget is abt 120/nt. Looking for a place in fish creek or ephraim, close to the peninsula park. Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
chicago area
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
1. Re: First time DC in oct

While colors usually peak mid October, a lot is weather related. You can have nice color the first weekend and also the 4th weekend after the festivals are over. For lodging I would look at the Homestead in Fish Creek. They have suites with a bedroom and pullout sofa in the living room and a nice indoor pool. They also offer a breakfast of muffins, cereal, fruits etc. each morning. You could also check out Applecreek Resort in Fish Creek as well as Ephraim Shores Motel, both have an indoor pool which I'm sure your kids would like.Make sure you get to P.C Junction for lunch, your kids will love it, but check thier hours online first, I know they are closed a couple of days a week. Enjoy your first trip, I bet you will be back this summer!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
146 reviews
2. Re: First time DC in oct

Can you do it during the week? A Sunday night plus stay will most likely be cheaper. We just spent two nights at Somerset Inn at Ephraim (on the north end) and really liked it. They also have a swing set, grills and indoor pool. It's been on the less expensive side, as was Coachlite Inn. The Ephraim Motel is also less expensive (it's right next to the Somerset). The Coachlite's reviews aren't quite as positive as the other two's are but I'd check into them as they're all well-reviewed. I was very impressed with Somerset, we usually stay at much more expensive places and it compared very favorably.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: First time DC in oct

During the week will not be crowded and will be less expensive. Also try the Parkwood Lodge in Fish Creek.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
146 reviews
4. Re: First time DC in oct

As far as the colors, we were there two 1/2 weeks ago and there were surprisingly already some isolated trees turning. Now, in our city, a bit south of Door County we're seeing some starting.

I think this is going to be a very early fall if that holds true. You could even consider the end of September which may be cheaper. Most websites will give you a range of prices for different times, but if there's somewhere you like, call, as sometimes the websites are off a bit.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: First time DC in oct

travelwisconsin.com/fallcolor_report.aspx#/R…

Per this report, Door County colors are expected to peak in Mid-October.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: First time DC in oct

Come during the week. If you want an October weekend place to stay start looking absolutely right now.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,318 posts
329 reviews
7. Re: First time DC in oct

if you must go on a weekend, but still want to be within your price range and away from the crowds, i'd recommend the sand bay beach resort (see my review).... it's not near the towns you mentioned, but a room can be had for $109/nite after oct 20 and it's less than an hour from peninsula st park (and close to potawatomie st park). i'd imagine the colors will still be good (probably past peak, but still good)....

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
146 reviews
8. Re: First time DC in oct

I'm not familiar with the place, but if you do it, we enjoy Pottawatomie State Park even more than Peninsula, less crowded.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: First time DC in oct

If you wait until Oct 20, you should be able to find rooms very close to Peninsula State Park for around $100/night. As a first time visitor, you are correct to look near Peninsula State Park.

midwest
Level Contributor
229 posts
10. Re: First time DC in oct

One year we went the first weekend in October and I was amazed at the difference in the crowds. My vote is for early Oct if possible, so it is not so cold for the little ones. fish creek or Ephraim is good. You will be driving anyway, so even egg harbor, sister bay,etc. But the first two are right on. Take the kiddos to see the goats grazing on the rooftop at Al Johnson's in sister bay. What a sight!

Reply to: First time DC in oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ephraim