We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel issues with flooding

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
travel issues with flooding

I was thinking about a summer trip and was wondering if there were travel issues with all of the flooding that occurred in June? usually come thru Elkins and Weston.

10 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel issues with flooding

Are you going up I-79 to Weston and over to Elkins on 48? If so those roads are ok. Here is a good link to the road conditions...

http://wv511.org/#

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel issues with flooding

Route 33 from Weston through Elkins was not affected by the flooding. Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls resorts did not sustain damage (though the water over Blackwater Falls was probably the largest volume in decades). If your trip takes you south from Elkins towards Huttonsville/ Snowshoe/ Marlingon/ Durbin... you will encounter areas that were affected and probably many closed businesses. But north and east of Elkins is fine (as is Elkins itself).

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,290 posts
3,004 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel issues with flooding

Yes, route is fine.

Take I 79 North, Then SR 33 East; Canaan and Blackwater Falls connect at 32 N in Elkins.

Not sure where the SR 48 discussion originated. You need to take 33 East, and this is a 4 lane hwy. going East almost to Elkins - 33 East will tell where to exit for Elkins, and expect slow traffic thru Elkins (about 7 - 12 min.) 32 becomes a two lane mountain hwy. first to Cannan Valley and then to Davis and Black Water SP.

Slainte

Edited: 01 July 2016, 18:52
Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel issues with flooding

Apparently 33 and 48 are the same road. Also called Corridor H. It comes up as 48 on my google maps.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,290 posts
3,004 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel issues with flooding

You probably have never driven in this area of WV.

Driving North on I-79, it is the Weston exit - Weston is to the West, and do not drive West.

Over the past years, the exit is SR 33, and has always been SR 33. We have watched the gradual upgrades to SR 33, which bypasses Elkins and shall goto Parsons.

Now, eventually, one might take 33 to Parsons and then drive back to Thomas/Davis; but until we do, this seems to be a longer trip.

Guess that Google Maps are providing wrong/outdated data.

Slainte

Edited: 01 July 2016, 22:30
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,290 posts
3,004 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel issues with flooding

Paul,

Just realized that you are from Cincy.

Using Cardinal Directions (instead of up, down, left, right) From Morgantown, Fairmont or Clarksburg, you are driving South on I-79.

I'm uncertain of which SR or interstate you drive from Cinty to WV; we are from the Dayton suburb of Centerville, and have found 35 - 50 - 79 - 33 -32 is our fastest and easiest drive.

We ski in Canaan or further South at Snowshoe several times a year, and Elkins is the junction, North or South.

Slainte

Slainte

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel issues with flooding

The flow on the Blackwater peaked at 900 CFS. That's enough to make the falls impressive, but it's not even the highest flow in the last 5 months.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,290 posts
3,004 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel issues with flooding

Generally, Black Water Falls are not as impressive in summer as in Spring and Fall.

We do like the ICE in January, and February.

Slainte

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel issues with flooding

Paul to answer you question, you won't have issues with flooding during your trip to Snowshoe. Have a great time! We love Snowshoe in the Summer!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel issues with flooding

Shouldnt have any issues in that area. Only issues you would have if your going on secondary roads near White Sulphur Springs or Rainelle or similar areas. The areas you will be should be fine.

Reply to: travel issues with flooding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Snowshoe