We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We want to visit historic charleston and savannah

Ramsbottom England
Level Contributor
31 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
We want to visit historic charleston and savannah

Can you advise how long we should stay in Charleston to see the old town? Would 2days be enough? Any suggestions about good b/b in the old town and trips to see whatever the area has to offer? As I don't plan to drive, how best to get to Savannah? Train or bus? Safe and clean transport preferred of course. Again is there plenty to see or tours to go on in the area or would a car be essential to get the best out of the time there? We are interested in culture music and food. Are there civic organisations or local guides that could help?

From there we plan to fly to New Orleans and again hope there is no need of a car to get around in order to see the best of the area. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Our plan is to head out in mid October -is this a good time for this part of the country?

Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We want to visit historic charleston and savannah

You want Charleston, South Carolina.....

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We want to visit historic charleston and savannah

Hello, If you could spend more than two days in Charleston, I would highly recommend it as there is so much to see and experience. Highlights that you would want to see would include one of the plantations, one of the forts, carriage tour around Charleston, House tours and much, much more. Unfortunately, there are not many options to get you from Charleston to Savannah other than renting a car and driving the 1 hour drive, which is very easy. If you do not want to drive, there should be some tours that you can search for that will take you on a day trip to Savannah. I would recommend spending more time in Charleston than Savannah.

There are many, many B&B in Charleston, look for the Historic district only.

October is a nice time in Charleston also.

Hope this helps

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We want to visit historic charleston and savannah

Yes, beautiful city. But this is the forum for Charleston, West Virginia... NOT Charleston, SC. You'll want to post your question on their forum.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We want to visit historic charleston and savannah

With regard to New Orleans, it is possible to get around without a car. Either stay in the French Quarter or outside of it along one of the streetcar lines. My husband and I stayed at the Avenue Plaza in the Garden District and had no problems getting around by streetcar.

Ramsbottom England
Level Contributor
31 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We want to visit historic charleston and savannah

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated but there's a change to my plans as now i am off to visit a long lost friend in San Francisco at the end of June! We shall.spend time there then we are planning a week in Oregon.

May be I shall do New Orleans and Charleston with here another time! Hope so.

Julie

Reply to: We want to visit historic charleston and savannah
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charleston